Eighteen: A Long Day At The Hospital

Start from the beginning

"Hey!" I shouted to a large crowd of people walking passed the alleyway. A small group of people turned and looked at us, their eyes widening.

"Can you help me?!" I shouted, my voice straining as I held Lukas. A man in the group jogged towards us, worry and confusion all over his face, before he wrapped Lukas' free arm around the back of his neck and helped me lift him. We carried him out of the alleyway and onto the street, which was when everyone began looking at us.

"I'll call an ambulance." A woman in the group told us, worry in her tone as the man and I laid Lukas down on the ground. I sat down behind Lukas and rested his head on my lap as the man kneeled in front of us. The man seemed to know what he was doing, which is why I chose to be the one to hold Lukas.

"I need something to press down on his wound." He told me, so I quickly took my jacket off and handed it to him. He folded it up and pressed my jacket carefully onto Lukas' wound, despite the knife being there.

I looked down at Lukas, his eyes closed as his head rested in my arms. My heart thumped against my chest as tears slowly rolled down my cheeks.

There was now a large crowd around us, and it grew more and more as we were in the middle of the street. There were voices, gasps and people asking what happened and where the ambulance was.

I breathed at an unsteady, fast pace as I watched Lukas lay on me, unconscious and bleeding. The only thing keeping me calm was the fact that he was still breathing.

It felt like forever before the ambulance and police arrived, which was when everyone began to take a few steps back.

The paramedics ran over and asked me to move back. They began doing something with Lukas as I moved away, but I didn't concentrate on what they were doing as I stared at the knife in his stomach.

"Is he...is he gonna be okay?" I asked worriedly between heavy breaths. Both of my hands rested on my head in worry as a paramedic approached me.

"We're going to try our best. Who are you to him?" He asked me. I scanned the crowd around me, knowing someone would hear me say it. I guess I would just have to worry about it later when I know Lukas will be okay.

"I'm-I'm his boyfriend." I told the paramedic nervously.

"Alright, you riding in the back then?" Asked the paramedic. I nodded and began to follow both of the paramedics as they put Lukas into the ambulance.

"What's his name?" The paramedic asked.

"Lukas." I replied, getting into the back of the ambulance with him.

It felt like hours before we arrived at the hospital, which was when the doctors and paramedics quickly took Lukas out of the ambulance with me following behind them. We all rushed through the hospital, but the doctors told me to stop at a certain point. I sighed and leaned against the wall, as one of the doctors stayed behind with me.

"You're Lukas' boyfriend?" He asked and I nodded in response, trying to catch my breath.

"Does he have any family we can contact?" Asked the doctor. I nodded and pulled out my phone, then gave Mike's (Lukas' father) number to the doctor. The doctor left, so I sat down in the waiting area and let my head drop into my hands.