Wait For It

"Tides that I try to swim against"

Credence stood in front of Raven, they stood in the street alley. She gently caressed his face, healing him of all his scars, of all his pain. He looked up at her, tears in his eyes.

"Mom?" He asked when suddenly he started turning into black smoke and dust.

"Credence?" Raven cried, reaching out to him, but he seemed just out of reach.

"Credence!" 

He cried out in pain, falling to the ground.

"Credence!" She screamed as he disappeared, leaving only his screams behind.

"Credence!"

Raven shot up from her bed, sweat soaking her body. Her scream had woken Newt, and he ran into her room.

"Raven! Are you okay?" He asked, using his wand to illuminate the room.

"Yeah," She croaked out. "I'm okay, it's just nightmares."

"Okay," He said, lowering his wand. "Goodnight," He turned to leave.

"Newt," She paused, "Will you stay with me?"

"Of course," Newt said, walking over to her and climbing into her bed.

The next morning, Newt and Raven began to pack up the house, with Tina and Queenie's help. They had found a nice house in Scotland with a big garden and were moving there soon. While Tina and Raven started to pack up her room, Newt and Queenie went into the kitchen.

"I need your help, Queenie." He told her as she prepared coffee for the four of them. "Raven's getting nightmares and I want to help her but I don't know how. You helped her earlier with gardening, why did that help her?"

"Gardening helped before because it gave her something to focus on," Queenie told him, placing the cup in front of him, "You need to find something that will give her focus." She lifted her cup to her lips, pausing.

"She's always talked of becoming an animal, so maybe you could try becoming animagi," Queenie suggested, carrying the two other cups into Raven's bedroom, the final room to be packed.

"Hey guys," She said, walking into the room.

"Thanks, Queenie," Tina said, grabbing her cup from her sister.

"Are you guys nearly done?"

"Yeah," Raven said, putting the final book from her shelf into a box. "Thanks for the coffee."

"No problem," Queenie said, handing her the cup.

"It's sad to see you g,." Tina said, drinking her coffee. "But maybe a change of scene will be good for you," After they finished packing, Tina and Queenie left, leaving Newt and Raven alone.

"Hey Raven," He began, "I have an idea, it might help with the nightmares."

"Okay," Raven put down the book she was reading, looking at him intently, "What is it?"

"We could try becoming animagi?"

"If we do try that, we can't talk to each other for a month." She said, considering the idea. "But it would be an interesting experiment." Newt smiled at her.

"When would you like to start?" He asked.

"After we move in might be a good idea." She suggested, and he agreed with her. It would be hard to move in without talking.

The next morning, Tina and Queenie helped Raven get all of her stuff to their new house in Scotland, while Newt got his things. After tearful goodbyes and promises of visiting soon, the Goldstein sisters left, leaving Raven and Newt to start the animagi process. Raven went out to buy the mandrake leaves, while Newt stayed at home, filling in their animagus registration forms.

The house became awfully quiet over the course of the month. Raven took to transforming the overgrown garden into a work of art, designing certain parts specifically for the creatures that resided in Newt's case. After Raven had finished, Newt began to rehabilitate the creatures. Towards the end of the month, Raven began to create the potion that would finish their animagus transformation. Eventually, the month came to a close, and the couple took the potion that would finish the transformation. After adding their leaves to the potion, the both drank it.

"Good morning, Raven," Newt said, his voice hoarse from underuse.

"Good morning, Newt," The grinned at each other, sharing a quick kiss.

"I'll go first,"

Newt smiled, pulling out his wand to cast the final spell. A white light burst from his wand and Newt started to transform. He started to shrink and turn a slight green colour. Raven let out a laugh when she saw what Newt had become. A Bowtruckle sat in the spot Newt was standing, looking up at her expectantly. Pickett had been watching the pair from a nearby tree and began to climb down from his spot. He walked over to the other Bowtruckle, Newt waved at Pickett, who turned his nose up at him. Pickett let out a series of angry clicks before walking away. Newt let out a croaky click, but Pickett was having none of it. Newt transformed back, a sad look open his face.

"Pickett, I'm sorry." He called after the small creature, who walked back into the house.

"Oh, Newt, I'm Pickett will recover, he's just upset." Raven comforted him, a hand on his arm. Newt nodded, a grin forming on his face.

"Your turn now, Raven," He grinned impishly at her. She smiled slightly at him, casting the final spell. The same white light burst from her wand and she started to transform. Dark feathers started to grow on her body and she began to grow smaller. Her mouth turned into a beak and her feet into claws. Newt laughed as he watched Raven fly around.

"Look at you," He laughed. "You're a raven, Raven!" She chirped at him before transforming back into her human self. Unbeknownst to the both of them, a young boy staggered up towards them, shrouded in black, clutching a wound close to his chest. He looked up them, his mouth dry as he spoke.

"Mom?" Raven turned instantly at the familiar voice.

"Credence?"