Her salvation .

His eyes widen .

She was smiling .

" You finally talked to me! " was all she said .

He waited for anything else , for a good-bye , maybe that's all she needed to do .

A good-bye and she would be gone .

But it never came .

His eyes didn't leave the spot where her own brown ones had been just moments before , before she had begun eating again as if nothing were going on .

She stopped eating . Noticing that he still stared .

" What ? " She asked .

He finally moved his eyes , almost dragging them across the space to meet with hers again .

" Stop this . You need to go . Leave me alone . NOW " .

She stared at him for the longest . He stared back , uneasiness forming in his stomach .

" Why? " She asked .

Why? He had practiced his explanation billions of times before , he knew she would want an explanation . But he couldn't think , couldn't remember .

What was his excuse ? What was his explanation . It seemed more like a statement than a question .

He lowered his head . " I don't think you know who I am " .

Nerve wrecking silence .

" I don't think you know who I am either , Mackenzie " .

He almost snapped his head off , looking up as quickly as he did , looking into her brown orbs . He searched them , for anything .

Hesitation .

Pity .

Sympathy .

Evil . Evil .

But there was nothing there . Nothing but sincerity.

She returned to finishing her meal .