Chapter 40

After loving each other for what seemed like an eternity, we both fell asleep without further conversation. It was the best night sleep I've had in a while, and it appeared, it was the same for Tom. He was still fast asleep when I woke up the next morning, the sunlight shining through the curtains and the urge to use the toilet waking me.

I had gotten used to being careful now when getting up, knowing well that morning sickness would get the better of me the minute I would move into an upright position. With Sam and Emma I used to keep crackers in my bedside table to eat before getting up, which had helped, and I thought that I should probably do the same now. Morning sickness had only really gotten to me over the past week while in Switzerland, and I had gone straight from bed to the kitchen to eat a slice of plain bread to relieve the symptoms. Now, I was getting worried about where to get plain food from. I would have to wait for just a little while longer, I thought, and closed my eyes again. As I shuffled into a comfortable position, Tom's arm pulled me closer, holding me tightly. This was how it was supposed to be. I needed to tell him, soon. Imagining how our life might be in a year's time, I kept my eyes shut, pushing away the thoughts of my full bladder, when my phone began to ring on Tom's bedside table. Before I could move, he leaned over to get it. I was too scared to get up just yet, and kept my eyes closed. I was sure Tom would just turn the phone on silent and go back to sleep, but instead he picked up and whispered:

"Hey Sam, mum is still asleep."

With the room being silent, I was able to hear Sam's voice through the receiver. "...fine. ...call back later." I was too curious to find out how this conversation was going to end, and so I kept my eyes shut, pretending to be fast asleep. 

"I'm sorry for keeping your mum here, buddy. We'll be back soon." I've never heard Tom call Sam his buddy. That was new.

"...mum missed you. ...worried... She was...sad...." Sam had never mentioned his feelings about Tom's absence me. While it made me sad to hear him tell Tom how he felt, I was also proud of him.

"I know that I shouldn't have just left you guys  Sam, and there is no excuse but I promise you we'll talk about it when we're back. I'm also sorry I couldn't be there for the match last week."

"... dad is coaching now."

"I know. I sent him the game plan and heard about your amazing goal. I'll be back for this Saturday's game though, I promise."

"..three days? Don't worry. ... coach again."

"I promise Sam. If you still want me to be coach. I would love to still be your coach..." Somehow, I had the feeling this was not only about Tom being the coach, but at the end of the day, Sam suffering had been exactly what I had been worried about from the beginning.

"..." I couldn't hear Sam's reply.

"Great. I'll tell mum to call you back." So we were better leaving in the next two days, I thought.

They spoke a bit more before hanging up. I decided to officially wake up in five minutes, but before that time was over, my phone rang again. I opened my eyes slightly, wanting to take this call myself, when I saw something change in Tom's expression. He was still holding my phone, and then again, after some hesitation, he answered.

"Hello," he whispered, while rolling out of bed, walking around the corner. I could hear the leather scrunch when he sat down on the lounge.

"Lisa told me." Unlike when Tom had spoken to Sam, I could no longer hear what was being said on the other end of the line. I knew that I shouldn't be nosy, but it was my phone he was using and I just couldn't help it.