I heaved another sigh, placing the bag on my cheek. I winced at the sting the coolness caused. Leaning back against the kitchen counter, Richard and I stared at each other.

"I don't want you seeing her anymore." He said quietly.

I laughed. "Not gonna happen."

"Don't you see, Justin? You've been defying me since you started seeing her. Sneaking out, being disrespectful. She's destroying you."

"I don't care." I said honestly. We were silent again. I took a deep breath. "Uncle?"

"What?"

"Mom's money ran out a long time ago. Where do you get the rest from? To pay the bills and stuff."

His face hardened in the way it did when I pried where I wasn't supposed to. "As long as I'm providing a roof over your head then you don't need to worry. Understand?"

I nodded, in no mood to continue arguing. Richard placed his hands on my shoulders.

"We are family and we are all each other has. Please don't let a girl get in between that. I couldn't bear it if I lost you."

I nodded. "I understand."

"Good, now go wash up. I'll start dinner and we can discuss your punishment for what you pulled today. I'm thinking double chores for two weeks?" I groaned, feeling like a normal kid arguing with his dad. Richard swatted me. "Go."

I stared at myself in the bathroom mirror. My face was more fucked up than I thought. One eye was completely swollen around the lids. Purple and yellow splotches were painted across my cheeks and jaw. I considered my uncle's words.

None of this started happening until I met Ana.

Ana

Everything was torn apart. Tables and lamps knocked over, everything in the kitchen cabinets strewn across the floor.

"The police are saying it could go both ways. Either this was just a regular break in or someone trying to hurt us did this on purpose." Dad said in a hard voice. "Do you know anyone who would do this?"

I shook my head, staring at the mess around me. Lisa trailed behind us, Oliver asleep on her shoulder. "The nursery's the only room that managed to somewhat survive. Only some drawers were flipped. At least the asshole that did this had the decency to leave the baby's room alone."

"My room?" I asked.

Dad cleared his throat. "Your room got the worst destruction, Anastasia." Hearing my full name continuously made me uncomfortable. I understood how angry Dad was at me.

Without another word, I turned, bounding up the stairs. There were a couple of officers in my kitchen and a couple upstairs, lurking around to check everything over and over.

"Is this your daughter?" One of them approached. Dad nodded, and the man looked down at me. "You guys can go into your rooms, grab some things. You aren't going to be able to stay here for a couple of nights. We can put your family up in a hotel until further notice. We can have your daughter excused from school until you get yourself situated."

"My daughter will not be missing any more school, Officer." Dad looked at me. I quickly looked away.

"Alright." The cop laughed uncomfortably. "I'll be downstairs when you're finished."

Dad walked by me, opening my bedroom door for me. My jaw dropped when I stepped inside. My mattress was flipped over, drawers overturned and clothes strewn everywhere. One of my mirrors was shattered and my makeup was smeared along the floor. Two of the windows were completely shattered in, meaning that whoever it was got in through my room.