Nice | John Murphy

REQUEST
Hey, could you please write an AU Murphy imagine where he teaches reader to ride ice skates?? Thank you x  

"That was nice," Murphy said, the two of you getting into his car after leaving the pizza place you'd eaten at. The cold weather nipped at your cheeks and nose, and you pulled your beanie down to cover your ears better.

"Yeah, I might even like that more than our usual place," you commented as you closed your door. You and John had been best friends for a couple months now; the two of you had been inseparable since you met. You knew your feelings for him were more than just friendship, but weren't sure if he felt the same or not.

"Where to next?" He turned to you as he started the car, a playful smile tugging at his lips. "You do realize tomorrow's Monday, right?" you asked, knowing you both had to wake up early.

He shrugged. "The night is young."

You laughed, shaking your head. "Alright, you pick then."

A smirk appeared on his face as he backed out of his parking space. "You might end up regretting that."

You realized he was right when after fifteen minutes, the two of you pulled up to an outdoor ice skating rink. It was filled with families and couples, everyone smiling and having fun. It looked like a Christmas card. You would've been happy to see the pretty sight, if it hadn't been for what John was suggesting.

"Well?" he asked, watching you study the scene through the windshield.

You turned to him skeptically. "You ice skate?" It wasn't exactly the type of thing you expected from a guy like Murphy, and you couldn't help but find the idea adorable.

"I used to play hockey," he explained.

"Oh, right," you giggled, unsure of why your mind had gone to figure skating.

"Let's go," he prompted, unclipping his seat belt.

"Whoa," you stopped him, putting your hand up. "I don't know what you were expecting, but I can't ice skate."

"Yeah, that's about what I was expecting," he said simply. "I can teach you."

Despite you insisting that you didn't want to make a fool of yourself, John somehow convinced you to try. As you stood on the edge of the entrance to the rink, uncomfortable in your rented ice skates, you pondered what you weren't willing to do for this boy.

Murphy looked at you expectantly, holding out his hand. He looked so confident, standing still and poised on the ice in front of you.

"You know, most normal human beings go out of there way to avoid ice," you joked, stalling."Is 'normal' really a word you'd use to describe either of us?" he quipped back, smiling. "Look, I'm good at this. I won't let you fall."

You sighed, reaching out and grabbing his hand. The warmth sent a shiver up your spine and a blush to your cheeks.

You cautiously stepped onto the ice, your body bracing for your feet to slip out from under you.

"Okay, having your body that stiff is only going to make this harder for you," John said, holding back a laugh at your obvious distrust. "You have to loosen up a bit."

"How am I supposed to be relaxed when the only thing preventing me from falling is you?" you teased.

"I'm going to ignore that," he said, skating so he was positioned at your side. "Now you want to try to move, or just stand there all night?"

"You know, I'm fine with standing."

"Ha-ha," he enunciated sarcastically. "Come on, it's simple. One foot after the other. Just make sure to put your feet flat- otherwise you'll trip."

You tried to follow his movements, but where John's were smooth and graceful, yours were jerky and awkward, full of uncertainty.

"Aren't beginners supposed to use the wall?" you asked, nodding over to where two kids were using the railing to circle the rink.

"Nah," he shrugged the idea off. "You get to comfortable on the wall and it's hard to learn to not rely on it. Just think of me as your metaphorical wall."

You rolled your eyes, holding back a smile.

"You roll your eyes, but we're already halfway from where we started," he pointed out. You turned to look back, but it threw off your balance, and the next thing you knew, you were on your back on the ice. Murphy was brought down with you due to your intertwined hands, landing on top of you. He would've crushed you if he hadn't caught himself, leaving him hovering over you with a worried look on his face.

"Shit, shit, I am so sorry Y/N," he apologized, brushing hair out of your face with concern. You were flustered, but it wasn't from the fall- John lingering above you was all your mind could seem to focus on. "Are you okay? Are you hurt? Did you hit your head?"

A small smile made it's way onto your face from his concern. "I'm fine, John. I ju- ow!" The two of you had begun to sit up, but your ankle shot pain through your leg as you moved it.

"What, what's wrong?" he questioned, worry flooding his body.

"It's my ankle, I must've twisted it when I fell."

And that was what led Murphy to carry you off the ice, onto one of the benches surrounding the rink. Guilt was written all over the boy. "Here, keep your leg on my lap. You should elevate it."You obliged as he began to gently undo the laces on your skate.

"Did I mention I was sorry?"

"John, it's okay," you laughed, trying to get him to brighten up. "If it's any consolation, I was having a good time for the few minutes before I fell."

He looked up at you hopefully. "Really?"

You nodded, smiling. "Probably more from you and less from the ice skating, but yeah."

John grinned, looking down in nervousness. A silent moment passed before he leaned over, kissing you on the cheek. You looked at him in surprise.

"Should I not have done that?" he asked tentatively, unsure of where your relationship truly stood.

"No- that was nice," you admitted. "Nicer than falling, anyway."

He laughed, reaching over and tucking a strand of hair behind your ear. "I'll make sure it doesn't happen next time."

"Wha- next time?!"