Chapter 24

Mom and Dad, and Mrs. Creek and the Chief descended upon me as I walked in my front door. Even Luke was there, hanging back behind them. They each looked me over, taking in my backpack, coat, hat and gloves. It was clear I was outfitted to brave the winter, and the fear in their eyes slowly changed to anger. I ran my fingers over the claw in my pocket. I survived a night alone in the forest, but I'd need a miracle to make it out of this alive.

"Oh Bailey!" Mom fell into my arms. Then she grabbed my shoulders and shook me, tears glistening in her eyes. "How could you do that to us?"

"I'm sorry, Mom, but I'm okay."

The Chief sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I'll call off the search party." The dark circles beneath his eyes were because of me, and I wondered about the wisdom of going on the quest, during which I wasn't sure what I learned.

"What were you thinking?" Dad thumped his hand on my shoulder. "Lying to all of us, disobeying Mrs. Creek, trying to give yourself hypothermia? You're grounded."

"I snuck out so no one would worry." I glanced at Mrs. Creek hoping for some kind of support. No ally there. I straightened my shoulders and looked them each in the eye. "Look, I had to do something. I want my horse back, and all of you want answers. What was I supposed to do?"

Dad's hand slid from my shoulder and he rubbed his face. Then he turned and joined the Chief in the hallway. Luke slid his arm around my shoulders and I sank against him. He was the only one who didn't look completely furious with me, but his squeeze told me he'd been terrified.

"You must be frozen," Mom said. "I'll make some tea." She started toward the kitchen, then she turned and gazed at Luke, Mrs. Creek and me. "Luke, will you give me a hand?"

"Yes, ma'am." He released me and followed Mom.

That left Mrs. Creek and me alone in the living room, just like Mom wanted. I set my backpack on the ground and slid off my coat, hat and gloves. Mrs. Creek's gaze was chilly as she motioned to the couch, and as we both sat down, she said, "Did you find what you were looking for?"

I pulled the claw out of my pocket. "I don't know. I thought I had a vision, then I thought I didn't. Then she left this next to my sleeping bag." I held it out in the palm of my hand.

Mrs. Creek's eyes widened. "You saw a cougar?"

"She said her name was Nahimana." I smoothed my fingers over the claw.

"Bailey, a vision did come to you." She peered deep into my eyes with what looked like astonishment, as if she'd doubted I could have a vision since I wasn't Ute. "What else did she say?"

"That she was my sister and that I had strength," I said as I handed the claw to her. Why didn't I feel awe that I'd communicated with the spirit world? It should've felt amazing, otherworldly. "I wanted her to guide me to Dakota and take away my visions."