Chapter 14

The view from up at Fort Lewis College in the morning light was spectacular. The whole town was sprawled below with its church steeples, old-fashioned buildings, and the Animas River meandering through it all. It was a beautiful location for the annual October Pow Wow.

All around me Native vendors and food booths lined the sidewalks, and a sea of people with long black hair milled around.

"You outdid yourself, Bay," Jasmine said as she straightened the black velvet cloth beneath my jewelry and pipe bags.

"I can almost hear the roar of my Mustang," I said. "I could sell enough today to make that happen."

"You might." She looked around at the early crowd. "Good turnout so far."

Tokola walked up and snuggled against Jazz. "Wow. Awesome job, beautiful girl."

"Oh." Jasmine shook her head. "This is all Bailey."

"Bailey?" He pulled away from her and frowned at me. "Where'd you learn this?"

"From my mom." Jasmine touched his arm. "What's wrong?"

He gestured toward the table. "Did you do any of this?"

She shook her head.

His jaw tightened. "Why not?"

"Because I just don't."

"But this is your culture."

"And Bailey loves it." Jasmine's face hardened. "We need all the people who appreciate our culture. Not just Ute's."

"Whatever." Tokola stepped back and tilted his chin up like Kai always did. "Later," he said as he walked away.

"Whoa," I said.

"Yeah." Jasmine watched Tokola's long strides take him into the crowd. "This is Kai's doing."

I sighed. "I don't know."

"Definitely."

"Maybe you should go after him."

"Maybe he should like me for who I am." She pulled her pad and pen out of her bag and slung her camera strap over her shoulder. "Which today is a reporter covering the pow wow."

A woman from the tribe made a bee-line for us, her gaze sweeping over my wares. "Oh, Jasmine, they're lovely."

Jasmine winked at me. "Glad you like them."

"And these pipe bags." She picked one up and traced her fingers over the beaded turtle and bear paw. "So traditional. So intricate. You've done an amazing job."

Happiness bloomed in my chest. To have a tribal member compliment my work was the ultimate. This was going to be a good day.

"It's Bailey work." Jasmine patted my shoulder. "She's the master."