"Because," Bluestar replied, "her destiny, her powers, and her looks all tie up to what she will become. I'd advise that you be a better parent, Jayfeather. Don't forget to tell Firestar about all of this, or you'll share a fate that's already been met."

"I'm not a whiny loser like Leafpool," Jayfeather snapped harshly, causing Bluestar's eyes to widen. He recognized this and added, "I don't care if she's my mother — Leafpool's nothing to me. She made bad choices. First, she mated with a cat from another Clan. I know I did, too, but at least she lives in ThunderClan now. She's no longer considered a ShadowClan warrior. Next, she didn't tell anyone mousedung about it and just shoved us to Squirrelflight to deal with it. And finally, instead of facing the problem, she went to go hide in the elders' den! Do you expect me to respect the likes of her!? Give me a break!" His pelt was sticking up from rage.

Bluestar closed her cobalt blue eyes, before reopening them and saying, "Fine. But you must learn from the past, Jayfeather. Now, your daughter is in a prophecy —"

"What? Is the prophecy thing something that's passed down or —?"

"Out of the darkness," Bluestar spoke strongly, ignoring the tabby's protest, "the lights of the sky shall come and destroy the night from which evil became."

Jayfeather snorted, but still payed attention. He watched as Bluestar looked at him with pain in her eyes.

"Jayfeather, you will experience more emotions than ever before in your lifetime, as well as betrayal and hurt." Jayfeather rolled his eyes at the former leader, but noticed that she was beginning to fade. "Whatever may come, I wish good luck unto you." Bluestar continued giving the tabby the same pained look. "Watch your temper as well, Jayfeather, because your rage... may just be the cause of your inevitable death."

Then, Bluestar had faded completely, and the starry forest surrounding Jayfeather was swallowed up by darkness.

---

Jayfeather's eyes flung open, and his head shot up. His world was pitch back — which was normal to him. He now knew that he was awake; the scent of herbs within the medicine den also reassured him of that.

Inevitable death. Ha! the gray tabby thought as he got up and stretched, then headed over to the entrance of the den, the familiar, smooth floor brushing his pads as he went along. Death is never unavoidable! Besides, why would anyone — besides a mouse-brain — attack a medicine cat? I won't die because of my rage; I've already almost died tons of times and avoided death's claws.

Outside, Jayfeather heard other cats beginning to emerge from their nests; he also heard his adopted father, Brambleclaw, giving orders and sending out patrols. Jayfeather listened, faintly remembering a time when Brambleclaw truly loved him as a father, but pushed it away when he was reminded of how it was all a lie.

Thanks to Leafpool, Jayfeather thought bitterly as he angled his ears over to the leader's den. He was trying to hear for Firestar to wake up.

And sure enough, the tabby could hear paw pads exit the den near Highledge. Quickly, Jayfeather got up and headed over to where the pawsteps were heard. The scent of smell told him that it was indeed Firestar.

"Oh, good morning, Jayfeathe —"

"We need to talk," Jayfeather interrupted, ear twitching. "In your den. Now. It's urgent."

"Urgent?" Firestar questioned. Jayfeather stared at nothing, guessing that the ginger leader was looking around camp. Then, he heard Firestar turn around. "Come on in, then." He was uncertain and rather confused, though; Jayfeather could sense it.

Jayfeather followed his grandfather into the dark den. The tabby flicked his tail before sitting down, back turned to the entrance. He heard Firestar's paws settle down as he sat, too, in front of Jayfeather.

"What do you need to talk about, then?"

Jayfeather inhaled slowly, then spoke in a formal tone. "I've had a dream from StarClan." His tail twitched as he heard Firestar inhale sharply and quietly.

"A dream, you say?" he asked slowly whilst exhaling. "Did... did it have anything of importance?"

"It was a dream from StarClan, Firestar," Jayfeather grunted. "Of course there was a prophecy in the jumble." He felt the air surrounding Firestar grow tense as he said, "Bluestar said... something like..." He trailed off and thought for a moment. He then remembered it. "Out of the darkness, the lights of the sky shall come and destroy the night from which evil became."

"What...?"

"It's a prophecy, Firestar," Jayfeather spoke in a sharp tone. "We need to stay alert, at least for a little bit. I know StarClan usually doesn't make sense, but I suppose they left the figuring out up to us as always. Anyway, I need to say something else."

"And that is?" Firestar asked, now nervous after being told an ominous prophecy.

Jayfeather was hesitant, but shook his head and sighed. Just get it over with. Don't be like Leafpool.

"It's about Starkit," he said after a moment of silence. "She's... she's my kin." When the leader gave a confused mew, Jayfeather added more specifically, "Starkit is my daughter, Firestar."