Chapter Four

Chapter Four

At least at home I don’t have to pretend everything is normal. It clearly isn’t, as evidenced by the fact that Josie and I are getting along. We’re talking late into the night about the show and what it can mean for each of us. I warn her that she might not be on camera all that much. “My school life will be the main focus once the season gets rolling,” I say, but Josie’s clearly psyched to be getting that cool older sister she’s always wanted, and she’s determined to help me prepare.

“A girl from Make Me a Model said the best advice she got was to take her top off when she was too cranky to deal with the cameras,” she tells me. “You’re still underage, so they can’t film you nude.”

“Um, thanks?” There’s no way I’m taking my shirt off in front of anybody.

The two of us are sitting on the couch in the living room with the first season of Biting Reality playing on instant watch. Josie keeps pausing the show to make comments. She thinks I should focus on riding this opportunity to bigger and better things. “Like the ultimate, writing books!”

As she goes off on a random tip about how to be the center of drama without being labeled a drama queen, I watch her happy expression and feel warmth toward my little sister. She genuinely wants to help me do well, and I realize I’ve underestimated the sister bond that—

My phone rings from where it rests on the coffee table, and Josie lunges to grab it before I can see who’s calling. “Hello, Shannon Depola’s phone,” she says as I try to snatch it back.

She hits mute. “It’s a BOY !  ” she says. “Who’s Rick?”

My heart beats in my ears. Slashing my arms back and forth, I mouth an exaggerated NO.

“So sorry, Rick,” Josie tells him. “She’s out and forgot her phone here at home.” After a pause, she laughs. “Yes, it is just like her.” She catches my eye and says, “I’m not sure when she’ll be back. Can I give her a message?” Josie happens to be a great liar. I suspect it’s a standard popular-girl feature, but she’s usually not a bitch about her powers.

After she hangs up, she threatens to call Rick right back and tell him I’ve got herpes if I don’t give her the scoop. Like I said, she’s usually not a bitch.

“I do appreciate your sudden interest in my life,” I say, “but there is no scoop here. That was just Rick.”

“That much I know. He says to call him when you get in. I want to know why his call made you freak.”

“I think he may be kind of into me,” I say. “That’s all.”

She repeats “That’s all? ” as if a guy being into me is a holy miracle. “How do you feel about him?”

I think about the way our eyes kept locking in the rearview mirror. I shrug, but Josie must read my expression because she says, “Okay, so you like him. What’s the problem? Is he a real uggo?”

“No.” I’m suddenly defensive. “He’s not an uggo. I’m just not sure if I like him and anyway I’m leaving in a few days for Prom Queen Camp.”

There’s a pause where Josie could be telling me to skip the show and go for it with Rick. But she isn’t.

“It’ll work out,” I say. “I think he’ll wait.”

Josie raises one perfect eyebrow. “Or maybe, after your makeover, you’ll snag someone better.” She starts rattling off a list of my attributes that need improvement, and I shove her off the couch.