Chapter Two

Chapter Two

The door swings open and two women stride purposefully into the room. One looks city-like with a crisp business suit perfectly tailored to her sharp angles. Her black hair is short and slick, and it seems likely her pale skin would combust if it came in contact with direct sunlight.

The other woman wears a low-cut dress and is pretty in that showy way that clearly requires a lot of maintenance. Nobody’s hair falls naturally into the long, loose waves that are happening on her head. She reminds me of an older version of Victoria from season six of Make Me a Model. My sister, Josie, made me watch it with her, and I remember Victoria getting slammed by the judges for doing pageants and being too “commercial” even though she was the prettiest contestant that cycle.

The women are both way too thin to be local. Pinned to each of their chests are big sets of lips covered in pink rhinestones. I recognize those lips as the Nőrealique Cosmetics logo and wonder why some makeup company would be involved in our “popularity intervention,” or whatever this is.

“Hello, girls!” announces the one with the slicked-back hair. “I’m Mickey, and this is Victoria.”

Victoria flashes a smile, and my eyes widen as I realize she is that pageant girl from MMaM.

The silence stretches on as the two of them analyze us with narrowed eyes. Amy starts rocking back and forth again, and Kelly crosses her arms on her desk and drops her head on top of them, which is her usual desk-sleeping position. I try to cover my ears with my shoulders. An uncomfortable stretch of time passes as the women whisper to each other. I want to go home and bury myself in bed for a week until the safety of summer vacation arrives.

Finally Mickey smiles. “Well, congratulations to you all!”

What? I grin. We totally jumped to the wrong conclusion. I blame Kelly for all the panic and hear Amy grunt beside me.

“Yeah, thanks.” Kelly lifts her head to glare at them. “I’m thrilled to be lumped in with these losers as the toxic ooze of our junior class.”

Mickey’s eyebrows jump, then she concedes, “I assume you’ve figured out this little meeting is related to the preemptive Prom Queen election that we had here the other day.”

Amy whimpers and my heart sinks.

“Duh!” says Kelly.

“And by the looks on your faces,” Victoria says, “you probably know you three were voted least likely to become Prom Queen.” Her expression conveys talk-show-worthy concern, which strikes me as odd since she was a stone-cold bitch on MMaM.

“I understand this comes as a disappointment,” Mickey says sternly. “But I assure you, what we are about to tell you will make you realize this is actually the best news of your young lives. You will look back on this day as the beginning of all the good things that are to come.”

Victoria gestures to us with open palms. “How would you girls like to become reality television stars?” Her smile is so huge I instinctively look behind me to see who she’s grinning at. All that’s back there is a poster of a puppy resting his head on an enormous bone with black letters commanding us to DREAM BIG.

“We’re proposing the most unique unscripted show ever conceived.” Victoria raises her arms as if forming an invisible billboard and announces, “From Wannabes to Prom Queens!”

Kelly mocks, “Cause The Greatest Loser is already taken, right?”

Ignoring her, Victoria goes on, “You girls will be treated to full makeovers during your six-week stay at Prom Queen Camp, which is being set up at this very moment in a top secret location. Then, your new Social Advisement Coaches will help guide you up, up, up the social ladder while hidden cameras capture your rise to success!”