Episode 4

Four

This Monday was just like the rest: most hated day of the week and sluggish and ugly.

Ugly, why so? It was because Rylance and I–well, I guess that was it. There was no Rylance and I.

And the fact that Levi Colin finally went to school wasn’t a comfort either.

In fact, it was only making me more agitated. He was an instant superstar, all the flirts in our school, whether a slut or just a flirt, came fancying their way to him. It was almost gross. Levi looked nowhere near being hot. Hell, he wasn’t even cute! And I knew I was lying but that didn’t count.

“You know what, Rachel, if I didn't know beforehand how rude Levi could be, I'd already be flirting with him right now."

I flicked my eyes incredulously to an innocent-looking Tammi beside me. “What did you say?”

She rolled her eyes. “I said that we’re in the field because I have cheer practise, and I have no idea as to why Levi is right on the bleachers seat.” She paused, turning her head towards the front bench. “Head cheer’s calling me, Rachel. Later, okay?”

I nodded, used to spending Monday afternoons on Tammi’s cheer practises. Now that might sound pathetic, but really, when you’re Rachel Falls, a popular pretty girl who's excellent in theatre works and all those stereotypes, being one of the “special audience” of Jefferson’s cheerleaders wouldn’t be much of a big shock. This “special audience” is a group of people who could “exclusively” watch the cheerleaders practise when they do. Sounds funny though, but only those who are popular get to be in this group.

And that was why I was beyond lost in Narnia when I saw Levi on the second row bench with some cheerleaders with their girly pom-poms and skirts inches too high all around him. And he seemed oddly ecstatic.

Pfft. I couldn’t help myself. “You seem pleased to have an audience of spoilt brats, now, don’t you, Levi?”

I knew my voice was loud enough for him to hear, but neither of the second row bench crowd consisting of Levi, a blonde, a brunette and a redhead turned their head to me. “See?” I bellowed, my arm hair rising from its deepest roots. “You’re a spoilt brat too, bitch!”

It must have touched a string on him, since he now wheeled himself and caught my glare. He scowled, all signs of cheeriness on his face washed away. His eyes seemed to burn my eye sockets. The girls around him sent all sorts of complaints about his undivided attention apart from them, but he seemed not to hear any.

He was glaring at me like there was no tomorrow, like this was his very last day and I was enjoying myself ruining it. But his head was tilted so that only I could see he was also sending me deathly glowers. I decided to speak up first, still not breaking my glare. “Why aren’t you answering me, you spoilt brat?”

His lips fired in animation, but then I realised that it wasn’t me he was talking to. He’d twisted and turned. It was the girls around him. “Is she really like that? I haven’t done anything wrong, have I? Why’s she so mad?”

My jaw dropped low on the ground. So that was his style? To go for the epitome of innocence? Oh goodness, gag me! “Hey, you! You stupid transfer student!” I cried out, the urge to redeem myself high on my chest.

“Look, Rachel,” the blonde with the blue eyes–someone named Ollie, I think–said, her head only slightly turned to look up at me. “Just shut the fuck up and leave us alone.”

What the hell? Are they even serious?! I tried protesting, tried saying that I would never want to get that Levi’s attention because he was so not worth mine but Ollie just flipped me the bird and continued flirting with the transfer. So much for redeeming myself.