Chapter 4

St. Mary's Middle School, New York City

The driver dropped Payal at her school; Jaanu wished her good luck and kissed her good bye. Then driver drove the car to drop Jaanu at her school. Payal was nervous seeing new people and surroundings. She clutched her school bag tightly to her chest and started walking towards her class. Then she suddenly bumped into someone. Her face curved with a smile seeing a desi boy in her school, then she started talking in Hindi to him.

"Hum ko bahut Khush hua, aap se milne mein. Main Sochthi thi ki, kaise iss angrez aur gore walon se main kaise baath karoon aur dosthi karoon. Lekin Devi Maiyya Krupa se humko aap mila." Payal stopped blabbering seeing the guy staring with his mouth open. "Kya hua aap ko? Meri mooh me kuch he kya?" said Payal touching her face.

Aakash Singh Rawat, only son of Manohar and Manorama Rawat never heard that much Hindi in his whole 11 years of life. Only person who talked to him in Sudh Hindi were his Nani's house help, but his Nani helped him understand it and only Hindi words he learnt in his only trip to India were Paani, Khaana, nahi, Namaste and Shukriya. He didn't feel the need to learn more hindi words. Now seeing this pretty girl, who is talking to him like a long lost friend, he cursed himself not to have been learning Hindi.

"I am sorry, I don't know Hindi. I didn't get a single word" said Aakash

"That's ok, I was just little excited seeing a desi face. Aapka naam? Oh, I am sorry, I mean your name?"

"Aakash Singh Rawat"

Payal had her eyes wide, "Are you Arnav Bhaiyya's Cousin?"

"How do you know Bhai? Are you Payal by any chance?"

"Yes, I am Payal. Thanks to Devi Maiyya, I found you. Look I am really scared. In India, We sit in class and teacher comes to us, here we have to go to the teacher and change class every period and I don't know where to go."

"Let me see you schedule?"

"Here" Payal gave her schedule to Aakash

"Awesome Sauce, We are in same class group"

"Aakashji, I heard about hot sauce, BBQ sauce, What is this Awesome sauce?"

Aakash chuckled at her ignorance. "It is just an expression here"

"How many of these 'expressions' are there?"

"So many, I will teach you everything if you teach me Hindi. Deal?"

"Deal"

With that both them shook hands to seal their friendship.

After their school ended, Payal took her bag and started walking to the school entrance to go home. She noticed Aakash walking behind her.

"Aakashji, please walk next to me, Why are you walking behind me?"

Aakash came closer and whispered in her ear "Payal, You have something red on back of your dress. If someone sees it, they will laugh at you, that's why I am covering it for you."

Payal was eyes widened hearing Aakash. She was felt that her tummy hurt since morning, but she thought it was new school jitters. She thanked Aakash for covering her. She also thanked her Devi Maiyya for making Aakash ignorant of her new monthly friend. Her Khushi Jiji explained to her about changes she may get to her body on her 11th birthday. She never expected her friend to visit her this early. She then saw her limo waiting for her. She then gave a quick peck on Aakash's cheek for his sweet help and quickly got in the limo. The limo picked up Jaanu at her school and they quickly went back to Shantivan.