McGee ruffled his daughter's hair. "I'll be there in a minute. You hurry along, okay?"

Rubyjane bobbed her head in understanding and left, calling out for Ellie Kate to fix her hair.

McGee pulled Abby to her feet and steadied her when she almost lost her balance and teetered backwards because of the baby weight.

"Christmas tree shopping with RJ, your dad, Luca, and Ellie Kate should be fun." he sighed. "Plus, RJ will probably be distracted by everything."

Abby giggled. "She's been my little magpie baby for as long as I've known her."

"Magpies like things that are bright and shiny."

"I.E., Christmas lights on Christmas trees."

McGee groaned. "I'm toast."

Abby laughed again and led him to the front of the house where Tyler and Luca were getting ready to leave off to the side, Ellie Kate was quickly redoing Rubyjane's pigtails for her. Meanwhile, Rubyjane was engaged in a conversation with Gloria, who was teaching her a few new signs. Rubyjane was copying them and echoing them like a pro. Abby didn't see Clementine or Sarah, but she was sure they were nearby.

"We've been here a day," said McGee. "And she signs and sounds like she's been here a year. Do you think that she'll keep the accent she's developed?"

"Not with Clementine moving in—her accent is heavier than EK's and Luca's. I actually used to sound just like them."

McGee looked at her interestedly. "Really? When did you lose your accent?"

"Just before I met Gibbs."

"Less than ten years ago, huh?"

Abby nodded. "Less than ten, but still more than five."

"How have I never heard it before?"

"Because." she said simply.

Knowing better than to bait Abby into a silly argument, McGee just kissed her and went to check on Rubyjane.

Once Abby saw everyone off, she headed to the kitchen.

Her family always baked up a storm in the days leading to Christmas, and whenever Abby visited her family over the holidays, she never had the willpower to turn down a baking session. Today was no exception, what with all of the visitors they were expecting.

In the kitchen, she found her mother with Clementine and Sarah, going over some recipes. Maggie and Scout watched contently from a corner, not wanting to get their tails and paws trodden on. What Abby noticed immediately was that her mother, Clementine, and Sarah were laughing, like someone had just told an amusing joke.

"Dare I ask what you guys are laughing at?" Abby said.

Sarah snickered. "Gloria's just told us about how you broke your arm when you were eight, playing in the junkyard across the field."

"That was an eventful day, and I've broken limbs in dumber ways."

"Like how?"

Gloria signed something to Clementine, who immediately laughed while Abby groaned.

Sarah held her hands in time out. "Okay, so I've been here for awhile I've been picking Sign Language up, but all I got from what Gloria signed was chickens and Mardi Gras?"

"That's exactly what my mom said." Clementine confirmed.

"What the hell happened?"