Ch1: The Malfoy Trials

Start from the beginning

"Disciplinary hearings of the twenty-fourth of June, 1998," said Kingsley clearly, his deep voice cutting through the room with ease. "We of the Wizengamot are here today to preside over the trials of the following: Lucius Abraxas Malfoy, resident at Malfoy Manor, Whiltshire, England. His wife, Narcissa Irma Malfoy (née Black), resident at Malfoy Manor, Whiltshire, England. Their son, Draco Lucius Malfoy, resident at Malfoy Manor, Whiltshire, England, and also of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Scotland. The defendants have provided no person to head their defence, and so the court will be directing the questioning to each defendant individually during their separate trials." Kingsley paused and continued, a touch of warning colouring his voice. "I would remind the court that leading the defendants to incriminate members of their family outside of their own trials is strictly prohibited, particularly if Veritaserum is in use. Read the charges."

Kingsley then nodded at someone to his left, who stood up, shuffling some papers.

"The charges are as follows," Percy Weasley read out, his horn-rimmed glasses glinting coldly in the dim light of the court room.

"Lucius Malfoy, as a Marked Death Eater and member of You-Know-Who's inner circle, you are hereby charged with high treason against the Magical world. You are also charged with the following criminal acts: breaking and entering into the Ministry of Magic, for which you have been previously charged and sentenced. Escape from Azkaban prison. The abduction and imprisonment of the wand maker, Garrick Ollivander. The kidnapping and imprisonment of a minor, Luna Lovegood. And, finally, earlier this month, on the 6th of June, you forcibly resisted arrest and purposely injured Auror John Dawlish, who has only yesterday been released from St Mungos with his arm regrown. You will recall," Percy added with no small amount of relish, "that your wand was snapped immediately upon your capture, for the safety of government employees and to ensure your continued incarceration."

The trial for Lucius didn't take long at all, as he plead guilty to everything. The ruling of life imprisonment was soon reached, and Percy peered coldly over his glasses at the elder Malfoy as he read the verdict. "You would do well to remember," Percy added, "that the Ultimate Judgement has not been decided upon, only on the basis that there are no witnesses and so no evidence of your ever casting an Unforgiveable Curse. Or at least, there are no living witnesses."

"That's enough, Weasley!" Kingsley snapped as the court murmured, mostly – from what Harry could tell – in agreement with Percy's comment. Harry couldn't help but agree, himself. But even so – he wasn't sure he'd wish a lifetime of Azkaban on even his worst enemy – and there was no denying that Lucius Malfoy certainly fell under that category.

But Harry had seen what Azkaban had done to Sirius – how it had made him angry, and scared. How the darks of his eyes never quite shone like they did in old photos, how he couldn't meet anyone's eye for longer than a few seconds. And then, of course, there were the nightmares – Grimmauld Place was a large house, but it was old and the walls were thin. No one in the Order had ever mentioned the screams and whimpers coming from Sirius' room, but the nightmares were visceral enough for the rest of the house to know exactly what tortured the ex-prisoner's sleep.

Harry was pulled out of his thoughts by Hermione nudging him in the side.

"Harry, get ready, they'll ask for witnesses soon."

They had already moved onto Narcissa Malfoy's sentencing – Harry had missed the charges while thinking about his Godfather. It was a good thing Hermione had decided to come with him, he might have sat through the trial without even attempting what he had come to do – for this was the reason he was here. 'Well, one of the reasons, anyway,' Harry thought as Kingsley asked if anyone would speak on behalf of Mrs Malfoy.