[23]

Michael giggled brightly as Derek pushed him on the swing. Derek laughed softly as he carefully stopped Michaels swing and picked the boy up.

"Let's take a walk, yeah?" Derek asked, grasping Michael's hand in his own. Michael hummed, nodded excitedly as he gripped Derek's hand and started walking along the path that leads away from the playground.

"So, I know we've never been apart for a long time until now. But you have Ashton now and I think you'd be ok if we don't see each other as often," Derek began. Michael looked up curiously as they stopped to sit in a bench.

"Dee go bye bye?" Michael asked, cocking his head to the side.

"Well, Stiles and I were thinking about buying a loft, but it's only one bedroom," Derek said. Michael looked down for a moment, concentrating his thoughts like Ashton had recommended he do. He dug around until he could latch onto a good memory to pull him up. Then he looked up at Derek and cleared his throat.

"Does Ashton know?" He asked, playing with the sleeves of his sweater. Derek nodded, leaning back against the bench and gently placing a hand on Michael's shoulder to comfort the boy.

"He does. We've been talking about it a lot and he said that if you wanted you can stay with him. If you don't want to, Stiles can just move into the house," Derek explained. Michael gave Derek a smile as he laid his head on his shoulder.

"Buy your loft, I'll be okay," Michael assured. Derek kissed Michael's forehead, and leaned his head against his little brothers.

"I'm really glad Ashton came into your life. I know we went through a slight rough patch, but he's helped you comfortably come out of your headspace and it's been really nice to have conversations with you. I'm gonna miss our tea parties though," Derek said. Michael giggled, rolling his eyes as he scooted closer to his older brother.

"I do throw some pretty kick ass tea parties," Michael said. Derek laughed lightly as he nodded in agreement.

"Let's go get ice cream and visit stiles at work, yeah?" Derek asked. Michael's head popped up as he nodded with a smile. Derek got up from the bench and held his hand out for Michael.

"I wants chocolate!" Michael giggled happily. Derek looked down, amazed that Michael could slip so easily now. Derek mentally praised Ashton for helping his little brother in ways he never thought possible.

"You can have any kind you want, bub," Derek smiled as he swept Michael off of his feet, making the boy giggle.

------------------

Derek knocked on Ashton's apartment door as he held a sleeping Michael in his arms. Ashton opened the door with a wide smile, cooing when his eyes settled upon Michaels sleeping body.

"The girls and I just finished setting up his room, come on in," Ashton smiled as he led Derek into the bedroom that used to be Lydia's. Derek was amazed at how much effort Ashton put into the room. The once grey walls were a cream color and there was brand new furniture and curtains.

"This is great, Ash," Derek whispered as he gently laid Michael on the bed. Ashton smiled proudly, looking around the room.

"Thanks, I hope Mikey likes it," Ashton said, shrugging bashfully. Derek gave a friendly pat to Ashton's shoulder and gave him a reassuring smile.

"He'll love it," Derek assured before beginning to walk out of the room. Ashton followed, walking with him to the front door.

"Thanks, man, see you later," Ashton nodded.

"Tell Mikey I said bye," Derek said, waving slightly as he walked out.