Chapter 33: Date

Yuzuru has finally gotten completely better and is able to return back to the ice. Coach Brian is currently out of town with one of his other skaters for their country's skating national championships. So Coach Tracy is watching over everyone. I'm still on winter break as school doesn't start till the end of January and school ended right before the Grand Prix Finals. Everything is running so smoothly.

"Mai," Yuzuru says to me.

I look over at him. "Yes, Yuzu?"

"Would you like to go out on a date with me?"

I'm taken back by the question. We haven't been on a date yet since we started dating and it's been a month now. With all of the training Yuzuru has to do, him having the flu, and the holidays, we haven't even gone out on a first date.

"Well of course, Yuzuru," I respond. "But when is your next day off?"

"Tomorrow," Yuzuru replies with a smile. "Coach Tracy has a family problem she needs to take care of tomorrow so she said we could take the day off or just skate by ourselves. But I'm choosing the day off."

"Well that'll be nice. We haven't gone out on a date since we've started dating."

"I know. Javier keeps asking me questions about us dating and I can't answer them."

"Oh lord. Okay. Do you have anything planned for our date?"

"Yes. I do. I will pick you up at 1 o'clock. Is that okay?"

"That's fine with me. I'm excited to see what we'll do."

At 12:50 pm, a knock comes at my front door. I quickly get to it so I can open it before anyone from my family opens it, but when I get there my older sister, Mary has it wide open with Yuzuru standing in the door. Yuzuru looks shocked as I am not the one who opened the door.

"Um... Is Mai here?" Yuzuru asks politely.

Mary looks around and spots me standing at the foot of the staircase. She shoots me a smirk before turning back to Yuzuru. I know this can't be any good.

"And why are you here for my little sister?" Mary asks as if already knowing the answer.

"Um... I am taking her out..."

"On a date?"

"Erm... Yes..."

I quickly go to the door. I push Yuzuru towards the drive way seeing how this conversation was going to be embarrassing for the both of us. I turn back my sister who is snickering in the doorway.

"Thanks, Ate*," I say sarcastically.

"I'm telling Nanay and Tatay when they get back from work," Mary says in a sing-songy voice before slamming the door shut.

I roll my eyes at her. I know she isn't going to and she'll just question me when I get home.

"Is she going to tell your parents?" Yuzuru asks in concern.

"No, no. It was just an empty threat," I assure him. "I will, however, have to tell her about what happens on our date."

"Oh, is that okay with you?"

"It's fine. Let's not worry about that now. Let's go on our date, okay?"

"Okay."

Yuzuru leads me to a car that I have never seen before. It's cute little Volkswagen Beethle. He opens the door for me and helps me in. Yuzuru gets in in the driver's seat and turns on the car.

"I didn't know you drive," I state looking at the interior of the car.

"Very rarely," Yuzuru responds as he drives away from my house.

After eating at a lovely little cafe and just chatting for hours, the sun has fallen and it's now night time. Yuzuru takes us back to his car and drives us to what he calls 'the better half' of the date. We pull up in a parking lot. Yuzuru gets out first and runs to my side of the car to open my door. What a gentlemen. He takes me by the hand and pulls me to this new location. What I don't notice is the backpack Yuzuru is carrying. As we get closer to the place, I see people skating around on ice.

"You're taking me ice skating?" I rhetorically question him in a playful tone.

"Is that okay? Javier suggested it and I thought you might like it. It's a lot more fun than just skating at the Cricket Club with all the lights up above. If you don't, we can leave. I thought it was a good idea," Yuzuru rambles scratching the back of his neck looking away from me."

"No, no, this is cute, Yuzuru. And I finally get to go skating with you."

"Good, cause I had nothing else planned."

I laugh as the statement as I drag Yuzuru to the entrance. Yuzuru pays for my entrance fee and for my skates. He just had to pay for the entrance fee as he brought his own skates. Show off. I get skates in my size and they're nice looking and white. Almost like the ones the girls wear back at the club. Yuzuru and I grab a bench so we can put our skates on. Yuzuru helps me lace mine as I've never done it before. Next thing I know Yuzuru has me on the ice. I wobble a bit as Yuzuru skates backwards to guide me.

"This is harder than I thought it would be," I mutter to myself.

Yuzuru overhears me and laughs. "It'll be easy after awhile."

Yuzuru moves to my side as he teaches me how to move my feet. We skate a lap around the outdoor rink called Nathan Phillips Square with Yuzuru holding my hand and guiding me as I try to skate. Then Yuzuru lets go saying I need to skate by myself. I try to skate forward but end up flat on my butt. I start cracking up as the whole situation is just too funny for me. Yuzuru laughs along with me as he helps me up.

"It's a good thing you're the figure skater," I inform Yuzuru while still laughing.

"Yes it is," Yuzuru affirms still laughing too.

We skate around together for a few more laps before Yuzuru leaves me to go show off. He does a couple jumps, only triples as I warned him to keep it simple. Then he does his Biellmann spin for me. I clap as my boyfriend is such a show off. Then he comes back to me and we skate around till I announce that I am tired. Yuzuru takes me back to my house and walks me to my front door.

"I had a lot of fun today," I state look up at Yuzuru.

"I had a lot of fun too. You looked so cute trying to skate," Yuzuru says with a chuckle.

"Ha ha, we can't all be World Champions, mister gold medalist."

"Okay, okay."

Yuzuru and I giggle at ourselves. Then I look into Yuzuru's eyes. He stares back at me as if daring me to make the first move. I lean up as Yuzuru meets me half way for a sweet kiss. I wrap my arms around Yuzuru's neck and Yuzuru places his hands on my waist. We lean into one another as we enjoy the time we have kissing. What a good way to end our first date.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Foreign Words:

Ate(Tagalog): Older sister