[93] california streets

93

i walked slowly down the street, my hand in grant's.

"are you sure this is safe?" i asked, "we're walking down an unfamiliar street at 2:30 in the morning."

grant laughed, giving my hand a reassuring squeeze. "darling, i'm the flash," he reminded me, "you're always safe with me."

i rolled my eyes, bumping my hip gently into his. "you're such a massive dork," i sighed, shaking my head. i looked up at him, to see his green eyes were already on me, a smile playing at his mouth. in this moment, walking under the street lights of california, our fingers entwined, grant looked happier than i could ever remember. everything felt like a dream.

"but you love it," he sighed, his smile turning into a sly smirk.

i laughed, shrugging my shoulders. "you're right."

we walked a few more steps, a strange silence falling over us. i knew grant had suggested this walk so we could talk about something - something that had to do with those grainsley articles, i supposed. honestly, i didn't mind being mistaken as grant's girlfriend. but the pit in my stomach told me he didn't agree. why would he want to live a lie? why would he want to be my boyfriend? sure, we were holding hands, but it wasn't anything serious. he could have practically any girl, so why me?

i fought the urge to pull my hand away.

"so, about those articles," grant finally started, "i think we should talk over... them."

"yeah?" i sighed, my voice slightly shaky.

"yeah," grant gulped visibly. i looked to the ground, focusing on the sound of the constant pattering of our shoes hitting the sidewalk.

"you know, we sort of act like a couple," he sighed, "it's easy for the media to turn things into that."

i nodded, but stayed quiet. i didn't know what he wanted to hear from me.

"it's definitely weird, you know, having to base relationships and stuff off of what other people say," he continued softly, "but sometimes it's eye-opening."

it definitely was eye-opening. had i ever imagined myself being more than a friend to grant? of course it was something i wanted - but not something i ever dreamed of coming true. i saw myself with grant. i wanted to be with grant. he had done so much for me in these past few months, more than kyle did in all of the years i'd known him.

"you're right again," i admitted, "seeing yourself how other people see you is eye-opening."

grant's pace slowed, and eventually he pulled us to a stop. i met his eyes, turning our bodies so we faced each other. his hands moved to his sides as he gazed down at me, like i was a puzzle he was trying to put together. my mouth stayed agape slightly, unsure of what would happen next.

"ainsley grey," he sighed, closing his eyes tightly for a moment. "ainsley, i... i'm crazy about you." his eyes were boring into my again, driving me insane.

"you... are?" i asked, my voice barely above a whisper. did he really just speak those words? to me?

"oh, god, i have been," he sighed, shaking his head. "ainsley... i... i like you. a lot. you're my best friend, the one who keeps me grounded, the person i love being with the most. and i've wanted to tell you this for the longest time. i like you, ainsley. more than a friend."

my lips turned up immediately, taking in grant's words. "it's about time you said something, gustin," i finally mustered, "i really, really like you, grant. i'm so crazy about you."

he laughed at my words, shaking his head slightly. his hands reached for my arms, holding on to me gently. "ainsley, will you go out with me?"

"on a date?" i asked, furrowing my eyebrows. i wanted to shake with adrenaline and excitement and shock.

"as if this trip hasn't been one big date," he chuckled, "ainsley, will you be my girlfriend? i know this isn't the most romantic place, but i-"

"no."

grant's words stopped flowing, and his eyes narrowed. "did you just say..." he trailed off, his eyes searching mine for honesty.

i stepped backwards, grant's hands dropping from my arms. "i'm sorry," i breathed, "i'm sorry. but no. i like you, grant, i really do. and i want to be with you-"

"so then why not?" he begged, his voice cracking. he didn't sound angry, just hurt. i felt pain in my own chest; i hated to be the one to upset grant.

"it's been weeks since kyle and i ended," i muttered, turning away from him. "things ended because he became famous. and now, well, we're both kind of famous. what does that mean for us, grant?"

i felt grant's hand reach out for my shoulder, but i pulled myself away. "i'm sorry, ainsley, i should've realized it was too soon," he mumbled, "i'm sorry, i really am. you have a lot going on. it wasn't fair of me to just to this...." he continued to ramble apologies, trying to say sorry for things that weren't his fault.

he was so different from kyle. he was honest, kind-hearted, down to earth - and he never once put his fame before me or his friends. i turned to look at him again as his watery gaze was rested on the ground, apologies and sweet words sputtering from his lips.

grant wasn't kyle. grant would never be kyle. grant was everything i had wanted. and i just said no.

"stop," i breathed, pressing a hand to grant's chest. "i'm sorry." he looked down at me, his eyes sad and questioning.

"you have nothing to be sorry for." he said.

i shook my head. "i do." i sighed heavily. "i just said no to you because of my own selfish worries. grant, you're different than other guys. you're my best friend. so, okay."

"okay?" he asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"okay," i smiled, "let's give this a try." i stood on my tiptoes, bravely touching my lips to his cheek for a second.

"are you sure that's what you want?" he asked.

i looked into his eyes, not seeing a trace of kyle. "i'm sure," i promised.

he leaned down slowly, his eyes never leaving mine. i could look into them forever. his lips met mine briefly and gently, and for once since all of this started, all was right in the world.

__________
EXCITEMENT! bc, one, #grainsley!!!! and two, i just found out this story is ranked #189 in fanfiction!! i'm so happy that i'm posting this part today! i know that's not a super high ranking, but after reading about it, i guess they only rank the top 1000 so that's pretty good! to get a higher ranking, i need your guys' help! the more recent support from you guys, the higher the ranking, basically. so if you guys would just take a moment to vote, comment, and share this story with people, that would be absolutely amazing! i love you all, and thank you for taking this journey with me! + there's only 7 more chapters left!! but, don't worry, i'm already writing bonus chapters ;) ps, what would you think of a second book? now, again, thanks for all your support on this book! please vote, comment, & share to help grainsley's story be known ;) much love!