sixteen;

gilinsky;

jack gilinsky,
you and my daughter probably think i am completely oblivious to the situation i'm about to bring up. throughout all the years of you and isabelle being best friends, i knew she was lying when she said she loved your friend nate. when she would jokingly say i love you to jack johnson, samuel or you, i knew it meant more than what she said to him. something i also knew, was that you and her liked each other. that's not a bad thing, jack. my daughter, as you know, has been through rough times in her life and she needs someone who can balance her life out and help her. her modelling career is something that you and i both know she never wanted to do. years went by of her saying what she wanted to be, and what she desired to be, and that was a teacher. constantly she said how happy it would make her to work with kids all day, five days a week, but then come home to someone who made her even more happy. at this point in time, i don't know where you and my daughter stand, and i also don't know your life. but if i am giving you this right now, i'm pretty sure the signs are clear to me that i think you're the one for my little girl.

in the box, you're going to see a ring. and no, don't propose to her with it, jack gilinsky. but please, promise her. promise her that you will be the one that will make her even more happy than ever, and that you will be the one who will help her along the way. jack, i need you to do this for her. but also for yourself.

with love,
karen

i took a look over the letter again, and placed it back in the envelope.

"thank you for giving me this, izz." i say and kiss her on the cheek.

"what? am i not aloud to know what it says or what that is?" she looks between the envelope and the box.

"nope, at least not right now." i smile and she shakes her head, mumbling an 'alright.'

"hey, jack?" she says and turns around to look at me. i nod in response, "you know you made my mom pretty happy, eh?" she asked, placing her hand on my shoulder, "all of you guys did. she thought of ya'll as her own children. alex told me stories of mom complaining about all the work she had to do to clean up after us, but she loved it. she enjoyed it."

"i know she did. we all thought of her as our mom. just, you were a sister figure to us, you know? well to johnson you were, and i guess sammy." i shrug, immediately seeing isabelle's facial expression change and feeling her body tense.

"what about you? i was just a friend to you?" she asks, hurt evident in her voice.

"no isabelle, i thought of you as more than just that." her eyes widened and she laughed.

"i'm so dumb." she kissed my cheek, "but thank you, jack."

"no worries, isabelle." i say and we continue to stay put as we watch tv.

about thirty minutes had gone by of watching tv, and isabelle has been silent.

isabelle's phone began to ring, and when she saw the id, i could tell she didn't want to answer for reasons that remain unknown to me. but that doesn't mean i'm not determined to find out, because i am and i know i will find out.

but knowing her, she picked it up and played it as if she was completely okay.