03 // apple cinnamon.

Start from the beginning

Shawna began naming the foods, as I set the last fork and rounded the table again to set down the knives. I turned around to face Shawna's husband.

My grip on the knife in my hand tightened, as I looked at the devilishly handsome British man across the counter; Wren.

No, this couldn't be happening! My eyes were as big as saucers, and my mouth fell to the floor. My heart was in my mouth, and it boomed like thunder. I began to think back to that night. His warm breath in my ear murmuring soothing words, as I looked down at the city below. Then my mind went to the silver wedding band I found in his pocket. Anger flared in me. I wanted to curse him out and show him how low he had made me feel when he charmed me into sleeping with him while he was already married, but I couldn't. Not in front of Shawna, not when there was a possibility that I was carrying their child. No, no, no! His child might be inside of me!

At first, his face showed something that I couldn't pinpoint, and just as fast, it was replaced by surprise and then anger; deep, scorching, hot anger.

"Bloody hell. What is she doing here!" he boomed.

The floorboards creaked as he stormed closer to me.

"I think you've come to the wrong place. You need to leave," he said sternly.

I could feel my body burning in fear of what he might do next. My best guess was grabbing me by the arm and dragging me right out of his home.

"Wait, wait, wait," Shawna said, sliding her skinny body in between Wren and I. "She's our guest, and that's no way to treat her."

An ounce of anger left Wren's face, but that was nothing compared to how much was still evident.

Shawna faced me. Her brown eyes left my face and went down to my hand.

"Oh, no!" she cried out. "Your hand; you're bleeding!"

My attention moved from Shawna's fuming husband and down to my hand, where I gripped the knife too hard. A stream of blood made its way over my hand and down my wrist.

Shawna pried the knife from my hand and ushered me over to the sink, turning on the faucet.

"I'll be right back. I'm gonna go grab the medicine box. Keep your hand underneath the water."

I nodded my head, feeling the sting as warm water hit my open wound.

My body tensed up when Shawna left. I could feel the weighted pressure of Wren's heated glare. Seconds later, he was behind me.

"Why are you here? What are you trying to do? What are you up to?" he snapped.

"I don't know what you're talking about!" I spat.

"You know what we did, and if you dare tell my wife about it-"

I cut him off.

"But she wasn't your wife when you kissed me and brought me up to bed, now was she?" I looked up at him. His hazel eyes reflected my fierce expression. "Don't worry though, I didn't stumble and catch feelings or anything. That night was a mistake. I've already forgotten about it."

"You need to leave, then."

I scoffed. "Don't worry. I don't plan to spend another second in your company!" I used my unbruised hand to turn off the faucet.

"Alright, I've found it!" Shawna said, rushing into the kitchen to aide my wound.

Wren took a step back and proceeded to the dining table.

Shawna opened the kit and began delicately bandaging my hand. The small act of kindness and care was enough to know that she would be a great mother. Wren, on the other hand, what he'd be like as a dad was up for debate.