Episode 28| Who's at Fault?

Start from the beginning

"What were you intending to happen, Bryce? Did you think I would fall into your arms and thank you a billion times for saving me from the wicked, evil villain? As if this is some kind of fairytale?"

"Fairytales are actually really twisted if you read the original versions," I diverted. Sophia's intensified frown stopped me from furthering my point with a rehash of the Sleeping Beauty.

Truth be told, I didn't know the original story. My sister Carter had told me about the sick versions of fairytales years ago. Despite the lack of knowledge, I thought I could've pulled random facts out of thin air until my time ran out.

Sensing no reason to continue the discussion, Sophia rolled the window down. I told her the code, in case she forgot it since her last visit. The gate split apart, allowing us to drive into the parking garage.

Awaiting a comment from Sophia, I paused with my hand on the door. "Are you coming inside?"

"I don't think I should." Sophia hesitated to turn the car off. She extended the same hand to me. "Can I use your mobile phone? I want to call Kelsey."

I dug out my phone, manually putting in her number, and handed it to Sophia. I couldn't tell why she needed to talk to her of all people, but we weren't at a stage where I could begin questioning her. 

"Hey, Kels. It's me, Sophia. I wanted to know if you were anywhere near Nicolas. Eh, that's great. Yeah, I just want to talk to him for a little bit. Thanks." Her voice lightened when Nicolas got on the line. There was a muffled sound on the other end, altering Sophia's emotionless, stoic facial features. "I'm sorry to hear that. I thought Hannah would've showed up. Oh, the fight made the party end early, huh?"

Sophia shot me a look of disapproval.

They shared a few parting words and then she gave me the phone. "Conner said he needs to talk to you."

Cautious, I took the phone and pressed it to my ear. "Hello? Did...your friend come?"

I was referring to Ernie, hoping Sophia didn't catch on.

"Yeah, Ernie did show up. I'll tell you what he told me. Wait, I need to get some privacy." After a brief pause, Conner said something I didn't think he would say. "Don't let Sophia go back to her dorm."

"Why? Did Kelsey tell you to –"

"Kelsey didn't tell me anything. I'm not playing her games when I say this." Conner clarified.

Given where he stood with my relations with Sophia, it came off as strange. Conner didn't give a shit about what went on with Sophia and I.

Clearing his throat, Conner spoke once more. "Ernie was late because there was a huge blockage near the East Side of campus. He told me there's a bunch of police tape on the Mary Warner dorm building."

With Sophia as a spectator, I swallowed the out pour of disbelief that was pooling at my feet. "That's where S...she lives."

Announcing that Sophia's dorm building had police tape on it wasn't up there in the list of "bright ideas." Leaving her in the dark about this - up until I got more information - was what I had to do.

A surge of pain simmered down to my bones, thinking how much of this was my fault.

"I figured it was her dormitory." Conner added in. "You're lucky you're not there. Ernie says cops are scoping the area for evidence."

"Evidence for what?"

"A murder." Conner revealed, leaving me silent as to who had died. "At least that's what Ernie said he heard. I can't confirm any thing. He didn't get much of a chance to see for himself. The whole street is shut off. He told me the precautions they took going into the building, before and after, made him think of a possible murder scene."