Chapter Ten

It was Saturday. Two days after the incident at the grocery store. I woke up in a good mood, ready to take my little brother out for a fun day. I was just about to get into the shower when my phone rang.

"Hello. Who's this?"

"It's me, Jason."

Like I said, I was in a good mood. I didn't feel like having an argument so I decided to actually be nice.

"Ugh." I teased. "What do you want?"

"I think I know what you mean." He says.

"About what?"

"Not liking being a person."

"Oh yeah? What did you come up with?"

"Well, I think you don't like people because of all the bad we are capable of doing."

He was right. At least in one of the ways. There were tons of reasons.

"Why?" I asked.

"Uh.. Why what?"

"Why do you keep messing with me? I wish you would just leave me alone."

Now, I said it playfully. I was joking! I thought that was obvious, but...

"Every time! Every single time! I try to speak to you, you say you don't want me around, but then you want me to speak to you again? Get real, Laylis! Make up your mind! I'm sick of playing these games! How do you feel? I really like you and want to know more about you but you keep rejecting me! What is with you?"

My eyes went wide; I was shocked. Did he really take it seriously? And... what did he say?

"You like me?" I ask.

There's silence for a moment.

"Make up your mind!"

Then, he hung up. All I could think was, what just happened?

I continued what I was doing and jumped in the shower. When I got out, I shook out as much water I could from my hair and put on a green shirt with a brown monkey wearing headphones. It was my little brother's favorite shirt of mine. After that I pulled on some navy green skinny jeans and picked up my phone.

"Hello?"

"Never hang up on me again and meet me at the park a few streets away from our school."

I hung up and he called back 2 minutes later. I didn't answer though. He would either show up or he wouldn't.

I finally went downstairs where my brother was waiting with a huge smile on his face and a backpack full of toys strapped to him.

"Lisssssssyyyyyy!" He said dragging it out. "You're taking foreverrrrr."

"I'm coming, busy bug. I'm coming."

"Mom! We're leaving."

"What are your plans?" She asks walking into the livingroom.

"We're going to the park so he can play with some of his neighborhood friends and then we're going to..." I look back at my little brother with a wink and then whisper to my mom, "Get some ice cream."

"Lissssyyyy. What did you say?"

"I can't tell you, busy bug. It's a secret."

"No fair!"

I grab him up by his armpits and spin him around making him giggle.

"Okay, I'll see you two later. Have fun, Nathan."