The Figure

Crowds. People. Flowers.

All I could see before me was tons of people standing around the altar where me and Ashok were beginning to sit on the designated areas.

I sat with my legs facing one side, spreading my beautiful lehenga and Ashok sat upright with his legs crossed.

We smiled at each other secretively throughout the ritual and my best friend Sai caught us once.

"Hmm, Looks like someone's desperate...." she chuckled like a five year old, whispering in my ear.

I rolled my eyes and smiled at her as the priests kept going with their long speeches.

"Please pour the water into the pyre." The priest ordered.

Ashok held the utensil while I touched his arm. I squeezed it gently and he glanced at me quickly.

His every look made me go weak in the knees.

The material over my head was just about hiding my blushing cheeks.

"The ritual is now complete. May the prince and princess stand up and seek their elder's blessings."

We got up and visited our elders. When I reached Maharani Charumitra, I realized a young man slightly older than Ashok giving me a creepy stare.

I turned to Ashok, not taking my eyes off this young man who almost seemed drunk.

"Who's that?" I whispered, slightly amused by his continuous gaze at me.

I saw Ashok's happy face turn into a scowl.

"Ash....."

"Sushim."

I gasped and turned to look at Sushim again but he was gone.

I felt nervous but curious to talk to Sushim. I had heard a lot about him from Ashok.

I turned towards a room placed on the left with welcoming doors either side and guards standing around.

I was just about to leave the busy hall when a hand clutched my arm.

"Kaurvaki, where are you going?" Ashok's stern voice sounded from behind me.

I was shocked at the seriousness in his tone, but I knew maybe something was crucial.

"Why so tense? What happened Ashok," I asked, placing a hand on his arm.

He ignored me but glanced towards the room in a somewhat angry way.

I had to put things straight, now that I was here. My only aim was to get this family functional again.

That evening, when a golden and orange hue was painted across the mountain peaks through the window, flushing breeze in my face, I heard slow footsteps march into my room.

"You're here Ashok?" I asked, not turning around to look at him, but continuing to enjoy the view of the crescent shaped moon glowing in the winter sky.

I thinned my eyes in confusion and turned round to see why he wasn't answering.

Just when I realized that was a mistake.