A surprise!

"So are you planning to marry off any of your children this year, Samrat Agastya?" Mother chimed in.

"Well Yes, Rani Kaurvaki. I had hoped to marry Rukhsana this year. I received many proposals for her but I didn't find any suitable princes."

Mother shuffled in her seat.

"I had hoped to discuss this with you during your visit, Samrat - I may have found a suitable prince for Rukhsana." She smiled at Rukhsana.

"And that is ?" Agastya responded, highly intrigued."

"My own Son, Samrat. Rajkumar Dhruv of Magadh." Mother gleamed.

Agastya's pursed lips remained stretched on his face in a small smile while he looked at Dhruv. I smiled at Dhruv's innocent reaction. He smiled back intently.

Silence surrounded us as Agastya had not responded, however his smile remained intact.

Eventually, mother's smile wore off. She looked at father in slight confusion and back at Agastya.

"Do you doubt my suggestion Samrat?" Mother asked.

"Your Son is intelligent, well rounded and diligent. I've heard many positive things about him." Agastya began.

Dhruv gave me a quick, worried glance.

"He is capable of bearing the responsibility of my daughter, Rani Kaurvaki."

"Therefore would I have the right to take this is a yes from your side?" Mother began happily again, gladly accepting the praise received about Dhruv.

Meanwhile, I caught Rukhsana shivering with fear.

"Don't get me wrong, Rani Kaurvaki. I trust my dear friend Ashok. His children must have the same values instilled in them as him. However for my daughter, simply the name or family is not enough for me to make my decision."

Everyone shot a look at Agastya. Rukhsana looked at him, almost with a sigh of relief. I sensed she was happy at what she had said.

Mother however was struggling to understand why he had rejected. She still remained firm.

"However that does not mean it is a no, Rani."

Mother and father looked back at him in surprise.

"I had thought you had 2 sons, no?" Agastya began, trying to change the subject.

I straightened up suddenly, realizing it was now my turn to appear in the discussion.

"Yes Samrat Agastya." I responded.

His attention was now on me.

Mother was still struggling to work out what was happening.

"This is Krishna, my elder son." Father said.

I nodded back gently.

Without moving his head he observed me with his eyes constantly moving without once refraining. His dark brown eyes had a small silver glisten of pride for Rukhsana. That's when I realised he wanted more than just a prince for his daughter. He wanted a warrior.

He stood up abruptly, us following him.

"I need some time to think. As we are here at this festive time of Holi I will ensure I have a decision by the end." He stated, not pausing to hear any responses and leaving the hall. Father left with him.

Mother looked slightly upset.

"It's alright Kaurvaki. He hasn't said no yet." Rani Dharma placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Yes." She reassured herself as they both left, leaving only me, Rukhsana and Dhruv.

Dhruv gazed at Rukhsana, his eyes full of attraction. I noticed Rukhsana feeling uncomfortable at this, her eyes going all around the place.

She decided to leave the hall, and I was grateful for that.

Dhruv's smile vanished.

"Did you see how upset she looked Bhrata? She loves me. And I love her. We both want to marry each other however it's her father's say hereafter. She's so upset he didn't say yes. Do you think I should talk to him?"

I couldn't meet my brother's eyes after what he said.

"No, Dhruv. Samrat Agastya is her father. He only wants the best for her. You are fully capable as he rightly said however it is his final say in the end. And he hasn't said no yet - so why are you stressing? Just wait for a few days, at least until Holi is over." I reassured him.

"Thanks Bhrata." He embraced me warmly.

I hugged him tighter, afraid of losing him forever in the maze of relations I had been introduced to in so little time.

Short chapter guys, I know. The next few chapters are all Holi related and y'all must know how much fun Indian festivals are. There's gonna be some romance in the next chapter so be sure to check it out! ❤️