Comfy

Merlin's hand was trembling when Arthur pulled him up, settling him right in front of him. Merlin cought his breath and froze, wondering what the hell was going on. He couldn't be sharing a horse with Arthur, of all people.

He closed his eyes and breathed in and out, trying to regain himself. Well, that was until he felt Arthur's chest pressed against his back when Arthur took the reins, causing a shiver to run down his entire body.

Merlin was sure Arthur must have been frowning from the way he pulled his arms closer, pressing gently against Merlin's side.

"Not going to fall off, clotpole," Merlin teased, but he was feeling weak and had started trembling. However, looking at his situation, it might as well be because of Arthur.

"I'm not taking any risk," he answered, a bit of amusing in his voice. "Merlin, even if you don't want to admit it, you're injured and ill, so for God's sake, shut up."

"I'm telling you, Arthur! I think I can manage to stand on the horse so don't-" Merlin's reply got lost when a sharp pain made him stifle a whimper.

Arthur's arms where immediately wrapped around his front, surely thinking he was about to faint and actually fall off. Which, Merlin considered, was not as unlikely as he had thought.

"Dammit, Merlin!"

"What, I just-"

"What, you just were going to take a nap?!" Arthur exploded, resting his head on Merlin's nape. That didn't make things better for Merlin, who just shivered more.

"Arthur,"

"Merlin,"

"I'm fin-" Merlin tried to say helplessly. He knew there wasn't a chance Arthur would fall for that.

"If you ever say 'I'm fine' again, I swear I'll kill you," he mumbled against the soft skin of his neck. "You're not okay, you're too weak and you're bloody dying, Merlin, that curse was meant to kill me, and you saved me with your idiotic bravery and now you're-" Merlin's heart was beating fast and he shut his eyes hard, feeling dizzy. "Dammit," Merlin knew that Arthur struggled with words and that he was really making an effort, and it warmed his heart.

"I know."

Arthur hadn't moved yet when Leon appeared at their side and asked them if there was any problem. That's when Merlin realised that they hadn't even started riding, and the rest of the group was quite ahead of them.

Arthur straightened but he left his arms around Merlin's tiny figure. "Don't worry, we'll be going in a minute," Arthur assured Leon, and he left.

There was an awkward moment when both of them stared at the reins, until Merlin, sighing, took them when it was clear that the stubborn royal arse wouldn't change his mind.

They rode at a slow peace. At first Arthur had argued because he wanted to reach Camelot as soon as possible, but they couldn't leave the rest behind, without horses. So they marched a bit ahead of them, but at their walking speed.

Arthur didn't let him go once, and by lunchtime Merlin was so hard that he couldn't stop thinking about how grateful he was that he wasn't the one behind Arthur. It would have been terribly embarrassing.

Arthur didn't stop for lunch, but he wasn't actually feeling hungry so it was okay. The problem was that he found himself more and more exhausted as time passed, so eventually he leaned back against Arthur, resting his head on the crook of his neck.

Arthur lifted a hand and caressed Merlin's temple, then moved it to his exposed neck, stroking the thin skin, and finally it made its way to Merlin's chest. Arthur left it there, resting right where his heart was.

"Hush, Merlin," Merlin felt Arthur's breath against his ear and shivered again, too lost in the moment to answer back.

"Merlin"

"Merlin!"

A sudden movement made Merlin reagin consciousness again and stare at Arthur indignantly. He was grabbing and shaking him vigorously, with fear written all over his face.

"What the hell-" he tried to tell him to stop but it was kind of difficult. "Arthur-" as he wasn't listening, he tried to pull out of his grip and that made Arthur end the unfair assault.

"What- why were you doing that?" Arthur eyed him with astonishment, and tilted his head, frowning.

"You have just passed out, you utter dolt!" A dark flush was spreading all over Merlin's face and down his neck. The only thing he needed, fainting in Arthur's arms. Like some stupid damsel in distress. Right.

"Um," he didn't know what to say. "Sorry, huh-" luckily Arthur chose that moment to be nice and hugged him tightly, whispering pleas.

"You're worse, we need to heal you and right now you need to rest," he declared, and Merlin felt the sudden need to turn around and put his arms around Arthur's neck. Somehow he managed to restrain himself and fought not to loose the control over the horse.

After a few moments Arthur told him that there was a village near there and that they would stop there for the night. Merlin hoped the tavern that Gwaine was excitedly talking about had room for all of them, because if he had to sleep on the hard floor once more he wouldn't be responsible of what could happen.