Chapter 24 : Zetsu

Hayate P.O.V

"How much longer?"

"I told you that it's a bit far away! Sasuke-kun, why don't we leave this guys and-"

Uzumaki Karin quietened upon seeing the look of irritation on Sasuke's face.  I could understand why she was bored - we'd been walking for the past three days and the landscape simply consisted of water for as far as we could see.

Aira didn't seem in the least bothered whether Karin was interested in helping us or not. She was chatting quietly with Gaara, a faint blush dusted her cheeks. Raijin and Akira were laughing behind her back.

It was funny really. After her reunion with Gaara, she'd run in the opposite direction at the sight of him. She was worse than Hinata but now, at least she was able to have a casual conversation with him.

Sasuke: What do you intend to do after reaching the hideout.

His question was directed at Aira. I might be leading the team because I was the only jonin around but, it was Aira who made all the decisions. 

Aira: Do you wish to join Kuroko, Uchiha Sasuke?

Sasuke: Of course not.

Aira: In that case, it is of no consequence to you what Kuroko's objectives are.

Sasuke: Even if I am very vital to the mission?

He wasn't wrong. Karin would only help us as long as Sasuke asks her to. Without karin, we wouldn't be able to search the very place where Kabuto was most likely to be in. In other words, it would ruin the mission.

Sasuke must be trying to pressurize Aira. Aira was still a student of mine, even if she was the strategist of Sunagakure. I'll still protect her. But before I could help her, she tossed a red colored ball-like thing at Sasuke.

He stared at it blankly, unable to understand what she was getting at. Looking closer, I saw that it was a tomato.

Aira: If you try and trouble us, I'll personally make a contract with Karin. A deal she'd find irresistible. You'd be the only one who loses overall. I would have accomplished my objective and you would lose out on information about Itachi.

Karin: I-I...I'd never betray Sasuke-kun!

A look of pride flashed across his face. But what Aira said next, shocked him.

Aira: Even if I can tell you ALL about your Sasuke-kun? Like how he loves tomatoes and...

Sasuke: E-Enough!

It only took one look at Karin to know that she would actually be willing to lead us to the hideout in exchange for information about Uchiha Sasuke. Karin actually looked disappointed. Seems like she did want to know a lot about her Sasuke-kun.

Raijin: Why didn't you make a deal with karin directly? I'm sure she'd have happily assisted us in exchange for information about him!

Aira: Sure she would have but...even I am not cruel enough intrude on others privacy. The kind of information I have is very valuable. It's better to use them at the most opportune of time. Besides, I think it's only fair for Sasuke to know more about his own brother.

And so, Karin lead us quietly to the hideout. 

.

.

.

Raijin: Isn't this place lacking in guards? Is this really the hideout of the deceased sannin, Orochimaru?

Aira: Suigetsu asked Sasuke the exact same question when they came here to recruit Karin-

She coughed slightly and held her chest. Judging by her face expression, it was obvious that her chest was bleeding again. It's the second time since the start of the mission that her chest 'acted up'. What was the disease that Madara had mentioned?