Chapter 21 : An unexpected rescue

Aira P.O.V

" Good morning. Does today find you in the best of spirits?"

I quietly took in the situation. Even if I was finally used to the fact that I live in the Narutoverse, I still found the situation in front of me...impossible to believe.

Uchiha Madara, still in his old man form, was smirking down at me and I...was still in bed, dressed in a loose top that hung of my shoulder with my hair in a messy bunch.

But shocked as I was, I couldn't scream. I was frozen in silence.

Madara: Is having me wake you up, such a surprise?

Aira: No... It's just that I prefer not to be woken up in such an...unusual situation.

For some reason, I felt shivers down my spine. As if... I'd just avoided death.

Looking down, I realised that my chest was thickly covered in bandages. Paper bandages.

Ah! I remember now! I fainted halfway through my talk with Nagato because the 'seal' activated itself. It had been so long since it had acted up, that I'd gotten careless...

But what shocked me even more were the bluish-black bruises on my neck. Was I... almost strangled to death?

I ran my finger softly across the marks on my neck. A dull prickly pain made me realise that it wasn't a hallucination. But...when was I strangled? By whom? For what reason? And...why was I still alive? Did someone save me? 

Possibly... Itachi?

Madara: I commend your will to not scream or cause a ruckus in this situation.

Aira: Well...freaking out isn't going to improve my situation so I'd rather calmly analyse my situation.

Madara: I see. However, you now owe me a favour for saving your life. Someone has been very...reckless...

Wait...The one who saved my life...was Madara! Or was he lying?

But for some reason, he didn't strike me as a person who lies. Rather...He has no reason to lie to me. He doesn't need me to owe him a favor. He could simply force me to do his bidding at any point of time and without Isobu around, I was completely defenceless and full of openings.

Aira: I see. Thank you. So do you have something particular you wish to ask me?

Madara: Perhaps about... Pain's 'other option' and...your sudden 'attack'...

I quietly looked at him. I...was just trying to converse with Nagato. I didn't have any particular 'option' to suggest to Nagato.

Besides, could I really tell Madara about the seal? Give away my greatest (and perhaps only) weakness to my biggest enemy?

I don't think so.

.

.

.

Aira: So...to what do I owe the honor of this round table conference?

Madara: To this disease you seem to be hiding.

Aira: Disease? I am not sick!

Madara didn't question it. Pain was as impassive as ever. Obito kept quiet since it wasn't his place. To Pain, he was still 'Tobi'. Whatever did I do to find myself in this situation? The time stretched on painfully slow. 

All of were irritated and yet, we sat quietly without any reactions. This pin-drop silence continued until Madara chose to break it.

Madara: So you have no intentions of revealing it? As my strategist, don't I deserve to know?