Chapter Twenty One

“Shouldn’t we- mmf !” Kara was cut off by Lena pushing her down against the couch again and capturing her lips. Kara’s eyes closed on their own accord but then snapped opened a few seconds later. She pulled back and took a deep breath. “Shouldn’t we start- hey! Don’t pout at me!”

Lena pouted harder and sat up on the opposite end of the worn couch.

Kara took a deep breath. “Shouldn’t we start planning or something?” She grabbed the bottle of water sitting at the foot of the couch and took a large sip.

Lena crossed her arms. “No -” She looked at Kara, “Maybe.” Lena sighed and slumped backwards against the couch. “I just? Want to make out with you instead?”

Immediately after Lena spoke, Kara choked on her water. Lena winced and scooted away to avoid the spray of water.

Lena got up and walked towards the record player in the small room. She dusted off a record and slipped it out of its paper jacket. She gently placed it on the player and put the needle down. Kara looked up when she heard the sound of music filling the small area. She smiled at Lena and got up to take her hands.

“What is this?” Kara sighed. Lena pulled Kara closer and rested her head against Kara’s collarbone.

“Miles Davis.” Lena mumbled. “I came here a few times to listen to the music in here and came across his record.”

Kara hummed and gently swayed to the soft instrumental music, leading Lena through the space in the center of the room. The soothing sound of a single trumpet sounded from the crackling speakers.

“Do you think we’ll come out of this alive?” Lena whispered. Kara felt warm tears seep through her shirt. She rubbed her hands gently over the planes of Lena’s shaking back.

“We will.” Kara took a sharp intake of breath. “We have to.”

Kara put her feet up on Lena’s lap and stared at the low ceiling above them. She listened to the soft tapping of Lena’s quill against a piece of parchment paper.

She heard Lena sigh and crumple up the parchment in her hands.

“I think we both know what I have to do.”

Kara looked up at Lena. Lena’s jaw was clenched and her fingers dug into the parchment in her hands.

“Don’t say it.” Kara said lowly.

“What other choice do we have!” Lena yelled, head snapping to look at Kara. Kara quickly sat up. “I’m not letting him get to you!” She growled. “You can’t help me with this- It has to be just me.”

“It doesn’t! We have-”

“Maggie Sawyer left us- left your sister- there’s no one else that can help!”