Chapter 3: Life at the Lair

Mikey got done with another birthday party and drove towards the lair; he had to prepare for another party for an eight year old girl named Karen. He drove in an alley and a wall with graffiti and a trash can opened to reveal a secret entrance. He parked the car and closed the wall up. He snuck under and went into the sewers. He slid down the ladder with his skateboard in hand.

"Why skate a halfpipe when you can skate a sewer pipe?" he replied as he started.

He did some awesome tricks that would make any pro skater jealous. He zipped passed a subway train, over a huge gap, and through the tightest of spaces until he came across a huge fan and stopped just in time.

"Dude," he said, making the word choppy, then called, "Going down."

He made it down and grabbed his skateboard, smiling like crazy. He pulled a pipe that revealed another secret entrance and he ran through, the entrance closing behind him. He rolled down the stairwell after he tossed his stuff to the side and landed proudly.

"Here's Mikey!" he said to no one in particular and he called out, "Guys? Anyone? Hello?"

But no one responded.

He sighed then mumbled, "Whatever. This place used to be fun."

He sat on the couch and turned the TV on; it was just the news.

"And with rocketing interest rates, that's bad news for homeowners as the real-estate market continues its downward spiral," the reporter said, making Mikey yawn and about fall asleep.

"Coming up, the vigilante known as Night Watcher strikes again," the reporter announced, showing the footage of the crooks tied up in the chain, which caught Mikey's attention.

"Now, I can't say for sure, but he was definitely an alien," one bystander said.

"I think it's a disgrace, taking the law into your own hands like that. Leave it to the police," another shouted.

"I remember how that used to feel, busting up crime syndicates. Sure, they had a bunch of guns, but they weren't like these guns," Mikey replied, flexing his muscles as Donnie came up behind him.

"Why do you do this to yourself, Mikey? Those glory days are over. Forget about them. Get on with your life. Concentrate on your work," Donnie told him, sitting down at the table.

"Yeah, yeah. Spoken like a true has-been," Raph added in groggily.

"Well, look who woke up. I suppose you think the Night Watcher is some kind of hero," Donnie said.

Raph jumped down and pointed out, "Beats sitting around doing nothing while dirtbags run free."

"I would love to know what it is that you do that's so great. At least we're contributing around here. All you do is sleep all day," Donnie snapped.

"Yeah, I do nothing. You're right. You got me all figured out," Raph answered sarcastically.

"Well, I know that your rogue attitude has been a source of contention to this team. You think fear is the best way to accomplish things, but you're wrong," Donnie replied.

"First of all, this team you speak of doesn't exist anymore. And second of all..." Raph started then threw his fist back, scaring Donnie a little.

"Raphael," a voice said.

They all turned to see their father and sensei, Splinter.

"Enough," he continued.

Raph just chuckled as he responded, "I think I made my point."

"That doesn't prove anything," Donnie argued.

Raph flipped up to the next level as Donnie grumbled, "Why couldn't you send him away for training?"

"Donatello, this home has become like an empty shell. Each of your brothers has strengths and weaknesses. You must learn to be strong when they are weak. If you don't learn to recognize this, then all hope is lost for our family," Splinter explained then sighed.

Things have been difficult since he sent Leo to Central America for training. He hoped that when he returned, things would be under control by then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Well, life at the lair is on the rocks. But will things get any better?