My emotions were bittersweet. While I felt proud of Craig for accomplishing the dream we had once shared, I was also saddened that I couldn't cheer him on like Xavier did. There would be no celebratory hug, or a cute picture afterwards, or a visit to a restaurant for drinks and food. I couldn't be with him, because if I face him again, it'll be hard for me to let him be. To let any of my friends be.

Kayla, Craig, Xavier, and yes, even Kayla's boyfriend, Aaron (I'm glad he's still around too). I miss them all, but I can't come back. Not until I know that they'll be safe. Not until this war--whatever I'm fighting--is over. For now, I can only watch them from afar and hope that they succeed in life.

I know I promised to see them again. I remember that promise and think about it everyday, and I hope someday I can come back.

I hope.

...

Reese's POV

"Hey, Artem. What was your dream job?"

The Russian brunet turned his head to look at me and said, "Why are you asking me this?"

"Just curious," I replied nonchalantly. "I mean, you couldn't have set your goals on running this shop, or fixing cars. Right?"

"I suppose not."

"So, then? What did you wish to be when you were a kid? Don't tell me your child-self was as bleak as your current-self."

He narrowed his blue eyes at me and grumbled, "No, he wasn't, though your judgement won't validate anything." He stopped what he was doing at one of the metal worktables and added, "To be truthful, I wanted to be a vocational military vehicle engineer."

I furrowed my brow. "So then you did want to work with cars..."

"Yes."

"How come you never applied to the Army? You'd make a badass soldier, too."

Artem shifted his eyes to the ground and they suddenly dulled, like he just had a bad memory or thought. "Couldn't," he answered eventually, "my family needed me."

"How come I never see your family?" I inquired.

"They moved."

"To where?"

"You are asking too many questions about me, soplyak. Be quiet and organize the tools."

I smirked as I walked over to the big toolbox to do as he said. "I'm just trying to get to know you, buddy."

"I am not buddy. I am your employer."

"Well, shouldn't I get to know my employer?"

"You know enough. Now, do as I say, and hurry. I'll be closing the shop soon."

Despite my defeat, I shrugged off Artem's weirdness and went on to organize and rearrange all of the tools in the toolbox. After I was done, I went ahead to the office and changed out of my mechanic uniform and allowed my body to breathe. The downside of wearing the uniform is that it covers all of your body, so hot days don't bode well for me. Thankfully, the weather isn't hot, but walking about and taking orders from Artem is a workout.

A few minutes had passed until Hunter came to pick me up. I said my goodbye to Artem, and all he responded with was an acknowledging grunt. I jogged away from the shop, towards the Corolla, with my backpack hanging on my shoulder. As soon as I opened the door and hopped into the passenger seat, I asked Hunter, "Yo, you wanna beat the Snowhead Temple this time?"

The dirty-blonde haired man smiled at me and said, "Aw, Reese, I wish I could, but I've gotta meet with some buddies from the college in a few minutes. I'll drop you off at the apartment and come back later tonight."