~04~ Goodbye

Goodbye's the saddest word I'll ever hear
Goodbye's the last time I will hold you near
Someday you'll say that word and I will cry
It'll break my heart to hear you say goodbye
Mamma
You gave love to me
Turned a young one into a woman

Celine Dione "Goodbye's (The Saddest Word)"

The trees rustled and the wind sang in accordance. Grief, like a thick sewed blanket  covered the dreadful town of Woodwave. Death is an undeniable factor but sometimes it just caught you unaware regardless of who you were.

Courtney Pepperman strained her ears to hear what her mum was saying. The only words she grasped on were 'Ali is dead' The rest escaped her ears as she watched the movement of Cecil's lips in a trance.

"Can you repeat what you just said?" She sniffed back tears. Okay maybe she heard it the first  time but she was still dwelling on the fact that her mum was playing a game she had forgot to let her in on.

"Courtney, I know Ali's death is a little too hard for you to accept. If I had my own way I would have chose to die in her stead. I'm sorry this had to happen to us." Said Cecil as she gave in to tears.

"Mum, I just wish you could listen to yourself right now. How can you joke using my sister as bait? Whatever this game is please put a stop to it. I'll give credit to you for acting it out just right." Courtney chuckled bitterly.

"I'm serious Court. Ali is dead"

Tears fell in great torrents from Courtney's eyes. Wiping her moistened eyes, she turned to face Jimford who sat quietly on the stiff couch dreading the entire conversation. "Is that why he is here?" She accused.

Jimford smiled wryly, "I'm very-"

"Oh don't you give me that crap Jim. You are only here because Ali died, aren't you? And here I thought you were here because you missed us." Courtney snapped resisting the urge to  run out  of the room.

"Mind your language Court! He's your dad for God's sake" Cecil shrieked.

"He has never acted like a dad." Courtney turned to him,  "Bill is more of a dad than you will ever be in a thousand  year's time! My sister was the only reason I kept loving you, Jim. Now that she's no more I don't think I can keep wasting my love on a father who deserves nothing but my hate." Courtney furiously shouted before stomping out of the room.

^^

Cecil stared at the man who sat across her. It was going to be harder accepting him back into their lives than she had thought. "You know how Court is, she will get around soon enough," She gave a reassuring smile as she squeezed his hand.

"That is pretty much how you reacted when I came over." Jimford said forcing out a smile. A loud sound from the telephone brought a halt to their exchange.

"Hello, detective Casely?" Cecil asked anxiously as soon as she answered on the first ring.

"Well isn't it too soon for it to be out?"

"Oh-"

"Never mind you tried your best. Thanks again." Cecil held the phone to her bosom as she slowly fell on the ground.

"Why, what is wrong?" Jimford asked as he rushed to her.

"The detective... the autopsy resu-" She choked.

She breathed heavily as she resumed her speech, "He said the cause of Ali's death is undefined. Is that even possible? No I can't accept that fact. I can't let this happen to my baby. I need to find out happened. She didn't just die, she wasn't even sick. Jim please tell them she didn't want to die,please." Cecil cried out deliriously.