Chapter Three: The Fighters

"Try again!"

Lena lunged at Supergirl, jabbing at her throat. Supergirl dodged the attack to pass by Lena's side. Her arms were outstretched in her first attack, giving the Kryptonian a chance to grab her wrists and hold them behind her back. Lena's ponytail whisked into her face, feeling like silk against her cheeks. Pain rips through her waist as Lena kicked behind her, and she wrung her hands free of the hold. Supergirl slammed into the wall of Astra's old cell, one of the side strips of kryptonite emitters pushed against her back. Pain sears into her spine, forcing her to push herself off of the wall. It felt like flames were licking at her body, but she refused to show it to Lena. She'd have time to rest when she could absorb the Sun's energy again. The two woman circled each other for a moment, waiting for the other's next move. Supergirl's breathing was ragged, and she noticed Lena's left shoulder sag somewhat.

"Don't rely on brute strength so much," Supergirl commanded, "Women win through our wits. If you're fast enough to work around them, stronger enemies won't have time to show it off."

Lena nodded, her chest heaving for air. Her movements were jumpy, her eyes alert and piercing into the Kryptonian. Though her hands and wrists were wrapped in tape, Lena had been building up her biceps in the past few weeks. Not only that, but her stance was finally stable− her feet were farther apart, knees bent to take on any blow. That had taken Lena a full week to perfect, but now she was unshakable for her amount of experience.

"Go for the throat again," Supergirl instructed, "Pay attention to your surroundings." She went for Lena's chest, but the other woman blocked it with her arm. Lena had a hook on Supergirl's arm, using it to force her downwards. Supergirl stumbled for a moment, tripping enough so that her cape brushed against the floor of the cell. Lena slammed her foot onto the edge of the cape, planting it to the ground. The tug of the cape forced Supergirl to the floor, but she hooked her foot around Lena's before the impact. Both of them hit the ground with a thud, and both of them groaned in pain. They laid there for a moment, both women gasping for air. Lena started to massage her sore shoulder. The Kryptonian turned her head to the side, her blue eyes watching her combatant. Lena raised her hands to her forehead, disoriented. She glanced over at the alien, and they made eye contact for a moment.

"Good job," Supergirl smiled at her. Lena grunted in pain as she pulled herself up to her feet. Supergirl did the same, raising herself up into a sitting position.

"You didn't go for the throat," the Kryptonian pointed out. Her muscles ached when she leaned into her arms, so she put them in her lap.

"You said to pay attention to your surroundings," Lena teased, "One more time. I need more practice on that."

"No way," Supergirl protested, "We've been at it all morning. You've had enough." Lena sighed, pouting her face before heading toward the exit door. She pressed the button to shut off the kryptonite emitters, and the glowing green strips on the ceiling and sides of the cell faded. Supergirl felt instant relief in her sore muscles. Lena walked back to Supergirl, giving her a free hand to pull her back up.

"Can we work on it later?" Lena pleaded.

"Tomorrow. You need rest, it's just as important as practice. And it's not like you're gonna need that move today," Supergirl told her, "Well, unless there's something going on that you're not telling me." Lena laughed at Supergirl's response, following her out of the cell.

"No, just the usual business at L-Corp. And I'm having lunch with Kara." With her superhuman senses flooding back, Supergirl noticed a spike in the Luthor's heart rate.

"Oh, really? Where are you going?"

"Noonan's. She said it's one of the best places in the city," Lena told her.