Chapter 12

I couldn't sleep. I've been staring at the ceiling for like hours. Caleb kissed me. He seriously did. I did not see it coming at all. But him kissing me wasn't the worst thing. It's the fact that I really, really liked it and I want to do  it again. I couldn't get out of my head how good he tasted and felt against my lips. My lips still tingled from that memory. Oh God I am done for! I pulled my duvet over my head and groaned. Whatever happens, Dara will not find out. Because it will never happen again. Not if I could help it.

Caleb's POV
Now she hates me. Charlie hates me. Way to go Caleb! You scared her away. I groaned and felt a gut wrenching pain in my stomach when I remember her looking at me with such shock and horror. I died a little inside when she said no and broke my heart. Damnit, I should've just kept my mouth shut. Then, at least I could still be by her side. Even as her best friend's pesky brother, at least I could still see her. Now I've messed up everything by kissing her and telling her how I feel.

But it couldn't be wrong when it felt so right. She tasted wonderful and I just wanted to kiss her again and again. Oh God, this is bad. This is just what I need before the final meet next week. I couldn't wait until after swimming season. I just had to be greedy and do it now. I have to stop thinking about it and focus whole-heartedly on the final. Only on the final. And not Charlie's soft, plump, delicious juicy lips- stop it, stop it! I sat up and groaned. Okay, maybe she needs some time to think. Okay, I will give her time. As long as she needs.

With that thought in mind, I tried to sleep. My dreams were filled Charlie...
*****×*****************************************************************************************

Charlie's POV

Urgh, my head hurts. I looked at my notes and groaned. I haven't been sleeping well for a few nights. I've been having nightmares. The look on Caleb's face when the taxi drove me away. It was the most pathetic and gut-wrenching thing I've ever seen. It has been haunting me for days. Adding to the fact that I miss him like crazy. He did text me, asking me if I were okay, and asking me why I wasn't answering his calls. I couldn't reply because I know me. As hard as it was to admit it, I feel the same way about Caleb as he does about me. And it scared me. It's scary how complicated it would get. Dara, my parents...urgh, no, I prefer not to think about that.

"Um, excuse me? This yours?" A deep voice spoke beside me. A pair of chocolate brown eyes looked at me expectantly. I looked at him enquiringly until I saw my favourite pen in his hand. I quickly took it.

"Err, yeah. Thanx." I said awkwardly. The guy smiled. He had dark hair and dimples. Very cute. I thought I've seen him around before but I wasn't sure.

"I'm Jeff. What's your name?" He asked politely.

"Um, Charlie." I said hessitantly.

"Nice meeting you, Charlie." Jeff said with a smile.

Turns out Jeff was a TA and he's doing his graduate course at the same time. He was nice and very cute. Not as gorgeous as Caleb, but a looker nonetheless. Oh stop it! I gave myself a mental note to stop comparing Caleb to every guy I meet. I'm nothing special myself.

Just then, it was 10 minutes before my next lecture. I quickly pack my things and got up from the bench.

"Um, it was nice meeting you Jeff. I have a lecture in 10 minutes. I'll see you around."  I said as I started to leave.

"Charlie, wait. Can I have your number?"Jeff asked suddenly. I stared at him, surprised.

"Um, why?" I asked, stupidly. Jeff chuckled.

"So I could call you and maybe we could go out sometime." Jeff said as he smiled. Damnit, way to go Charlie!  I laughed to cover my embarrassment and gave him my number.

As I was trying to keep awake, I remembered what happened at the quad just now. Jeff seemed nice. Who knows, he might help me get over Caleb. Even if he doesn't call me, at least it means I'm not that hopeless. I met somebody else.

***********************************************************************************************

That night Jeff called. He asked me out to lunch the next day. He didn't waste any time, did he? I felt a little nervous. I've never been to an actual date. Seriously. I've been out with Caleb, but that doesn't count. I've known him all my life. I fret and worried about what to wear. I never had to worry before. I wanted to look nice, pretty and not how I usually look. 

The lunch was cozy and nice. Jeff was a nice guy and he was very mature, compared to Caleb..sigh..there I go again. I have to stop comparing guys to Caleb. Jeff had been every where, which was impressive. I've never been out of the US. We had fun and Jeff asked me out again when he wanted to send me to my dorm. He asked me out to dinner on Saturday night. I agreed immediately, although I was amazed he liked me. 

I was glad I actually went out with another guy other than Caleb. I glanced at my phone. 25 missed calls. Well, that's an improvement. It was 54 missed calls yesterday. And 20 unread messages. All from Caleb. I leaned back on my bed, putting my phone as far away as I could. I did not want to be tempted. Caleb is like a habit I need to break.

I went into my room and saw Lois was studying. She looked when I entered the room. I smiled at her and put my bag at my desk.

"Um, hey Charlie? Can I ask you something?" Lois asked suddenly.

"Sure, what about?" I asked casually as I took off my jacket and hung it at the back of my chair. 

"Um, did something happen between you and Caleb? I mean, he stopped by a few hours ago. He asked how you were and stuff. He also asked if your phone's okay. Which was weird. Then he gave me this." Lois said as she handed me a folded note. I looked at it and took it. 

"Thanx Lois," I said, mystified. She just smiled slightly and continued with studying. 

I sat on my bed and opened the note. It wasn't very long 

Hey Charlie, how you've been? I've been busy training for the final. I'm just writing to tell you I'm leaving for Portland this afternoon and be back here around dinner time tomorrow night. I really miss you Charlie. I wish I could see you, even for a few minutes. But it's okay. We're still friends, right? Anyway, wish me luck and I hope to see you whan I get back.  ~Caleb~

I folded the letter carefully and sighed. I took out my phone and started typing. I knew I was being unreasonable by shutting him out like that. I owe it to him to at least wish him luck for his competition tomorrow. 

***********************************************************************************************

Caleb's POV

I was staring out the window of the plane bound for Portland. Suddenly, my phone vibrated. I fished it out of my jacket, hoping that it would be a message from Charlie. It was. I grinned without realizing it. 

Hi Caleb. Thanks for the message. Yeah, we're still friends. How could we not. Anyway, just wanted to wish you all the best in your competition.  I hope you win! ~Charlie~

The note was brief but it was enough to make me happy. Even Darius' horrible snoring didn't wipe the smile off my face.

***********************************************************************************************

Okay, end of Chapter  12. Hope you enjoy this chapter. It's written in a rush, so it might not be very good. But I promise to make it up in the next chapter. Something is about to happen. So, watch this space..!! Please enjoy, vote and comment!