Family - Part 42

Just below the surface of my chest is a spot of panic, but I need to scrub it out. "Rocco, Riven – we'll each take a third of the tree to guard and keep watch. Clara – I need you to take Mason to wherever he needs to be to insert the knife or start cutting or whatever needs to be done. I want this done as quickly as possible. We need to bury that dagger again before Grayson shows up."

I don't say it because I know Mason doesn't need a reminder, but if Grayson can call the dagger to him, this encounter might go a lot differently than we thought it would. My stomach is bubbling and I'm worried I might lose the last barbecued rodent I managed to force down my throat earlier this morning.

I don't know how to fix this. I rub my scar absently as I take my place around the tree, watching the sky, keeping all of my senses trained to anything unusual on its way. I wish Ryan was here, but I know that if he hasn't swept in already, he isn't likely to suddenly show up. I'm sure he's waging his own battles on the Third. I just hope whatever happens here today that I don't have to take any of his power; I hate the thought of leaving him vulnerable.

"It's in," Clara calls down, but her voice is almost drowned out by a great cracking noise. The sound is a crisp snapping, like wood being split for kindling and then ripped by hand. The sound is magnified, almost deafening.

A bright white, blinding light comes out of the tree and as I shield my eyes. I briefly think that if Grayson didn't know we were here before, the spotlight in the sky is going to give it away for sure. Once the light subsides, there are hundreds of people standing in the clearing, wearing old-fashioned formal Third Realm clothing in lightweight, synthetic fabrics.

I look down at my dirty dress and pants and feel a pang of envy. They were stuck in a tree for years and they look like they just stumbled out of a formal party and I look like I just wrestled a pig in the muck. It appears they haven't aged a day while living in the tree. Amazing.

They're all looking around, variations of confusion registering on their faces. I look back towards the tree and see Mason perched on a branch, while Clara is using her hands to try to re-seal the crack in the tree. It's not as big as I thought it would be, given the amount of light that came pouring out. There's no way that Grayson wasn't alerted, but whether he'll know what we've done, I'm not sure.

I step forward, clutching my hands in front of me, leaving Rocco and Riven to keep watch for impending danger. I look up one more time in the tree and see Mason watching me carefully, but he's not jumping down to stand beside me. I don't know if he's trying to be helpful or difficult by staying away.

"Hello!" I shout into the crowd that is mingling, talking excitedly and looking generally confused. "Hello!" I call out again, hoping they'll quiet down. I wait for a few more seconds to see if anyone is going to quiet down, but if anything, they seem to be getting louder. I look back at Mason again and he makes a reeling motion with his hand and points to the sky.

That's enough of a reminder to break my nerves. I close my eyes and push power through my hands like I saw Mason do a long time ago when we were at the Muttaty Colony trying to defend ourselves and Riven and Rocco. A bright light shoots out of both of my palms, across the field and immediately quiet falls over everything – people, animals, nature – everything seems to stop. I wonder, briefly, what I've actually done in using that power. I glance around to make sure everyone is still alive; I seem to have put a muffling veil over everything. I hope I can fix that before Grayson shows up.

I'm not sure exactly where to start, but I know I have to get something out into the silence while I can. I have no idea if this will wear off or if I'll have to use some magic to restore the balance. It seemed like it wore off quickly at the Muttaty Colony, but Mason was used to using this kind of magic. He knew how much to use; I have no idea.

"Most of you don't know me, but two of you might. Years ago, these two people had a baby and they left that child with their Siren friends while they went to the command performance at the mansion. When Grayson betrayed you all, he had the help of the Fourth Realm who did a sweep for leftover Journeyers and when that happened, my soul jumped into the body of the Siren baby, forcing her out and leaving me behind. Ryan, Grayson's son, me and Mason," I turn and look behind me, "have been working to banish Grayson to the Ether for the crimes he's committed against the realms. But, Grayson's on his way here now, determined to kill me to prevent me from taking my rightful place as Queen of the Realms. I need your help; I need all of your help to put down his army and restore us all to the Third Realm where we all belong." 

I finish, knowing that I will need to say more later, but if we're going to fend off Grayson, I need them on my side down here before I worry about getting us up there. I still have to complete the last portion of the sequence and whatever horror might await me there.

Just when I think I'm going to have to use more magic to try to counter the quieting spell, a dark haired man and sandy-haired woman start to step forward out of the crowd. Their hopeful, frowning faces spark something deep inside my chest. If these are my parents, they look like they're only about ten years older than me. The tree really didn't age them at all. They approach me cautiously and then the woman is standing in front of me, tears in her aquamarine eyes.

"Autumn?" the woman questions, moving even closer to me and taking my face in her hands. "We named you Autumn; it was our favourite season on the Second Realm. Is it really you? You're really there, inside this Siren body?" She searches my face and body with her eyes, hopeful, but mournful. Her eyes reconnect with mine and she holds my gaze for a long time before she sighs, saying, "Oh yes, there you are. You're really are in there."

Answering tears well up in my own eyes. "I am," I choke out. "Mom?" I ask, questioning. Then she's pulling me into a hug so tight that I think I'll never be able to breathe properly again. She's sobbing into my dirty blonde hair and the man standing behind her, my father, envelops us both in his large frame, dwarfing us with his height and girth. My family. My family.

Author's Note:

How do you think Hannah's parents are feeling in this moment? How do you think the rest of the Journeyers are feeling? Do you think they'll help Hannah and her crew to accomplish their tasks? Would you help them if you were a Journeyer?

If you're enjoying the story, please consider commenting or voting. I would love to hear from you. :)