Terms and Conditions - Part 36

"That's not going to work," Ryan says and just like that, he's angry again. "The huts are empty; they have a place to go. The realm needs more magic – so much of it has been sucked through down to Hannah." He squeezes my hand, probably trying to make sure I don't start publically weeping over what's happening to him.

"Currently, all the Journeyers are in a form of stasis. But, when they awake from sleeping, they may be angry. I would need for all of them to decide to funnel their magic through Hannah and into you for us to agree to put them back on the Third Realm. It's the only way we'd accept that," the Head Counter continues.

"What would that do to them, to the Journeyers?" I ask.

"It would reduce them to mere pawns in a larger game. It would take them generations to build their magic again. It's a safeguard against an immediate revolt," the Life Line Keeper says, watching all of us carefully. "It would be a re-set of a sort."

"Why would they agree to that?" Maizie asks bewildered.

"Their Journeyer Queen would have to convince them that it's the best way forward," the Time Keeper says, grinning. "Their time has come to rule, it's just not as they expected."

I take a deep breath, push my chair back and start pacing around the room, thinking. I've never convinced anyone of anything and this is huge. Hundreds of people I've never met have to believe that I can be their savior and that I'm not going to let them down. They have to believe that I am their best option, not just their only one.

As I pace, Mason says to the keepers, "You three need to leave while we sort this out. We're not agreeing to this without some sort of plan in place."

When I look up again, Maizie is standing at the edge of the table, Mason is also pacing, Ryan is perched on the desk and everyone looks anxious.

"Could I do that? Could I convince hundreds of people to just let me take their magic?" I ask and then I grab Mason's arm to stop his own pacing. "Is it even possible to hold that much magic?"

"And not go a little bit insane?" Mason asks, looking doubtful. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely – history class – Second Realm. I hated that class, but that quote – nailed it."

I look over at Ryan and he's watching the two of us quietly. Maizie shifts closer to him and pats his back. He gives her a grateful smile and I wonder if my closeness with Mason actually does bother him a little. We've never really had a chance to talk about it.

He gives me a soft smile. "They aren't the only ones that can read minds here, Hannah," he says, nodding in the direction of where the keepers once stood.

"We're okay?" I ask, the rest of the insanity falling away and I can't take my eyes off of him. I need us to be okay more than I need anything else.

He looks at Mason and gives a wry smile. "I have absolute faith that you and Mason can convince a crowd of Journeyers to give up their magic." He looks at Mason. "Without threatening to just kill them all if they won't."

Mason's shoulders slump. "I need a plan B," Mason says, throwing up his hands.

"That was plan A?" I ask, incredulous. "Just when I think you've reformed. The Fourth Realm is in trouble then you get here," I laugh and give Mason a teasing shove. He doesn't laugh though and his smile seems forced.

Ryan looks at me and his eyes soften to the deep cerulean blue that makes my heart melt a little. "You know me, Hannah. I love a little bit of honesty and I think, after years of being stuck wherever they are, they'll appreciate it, too. Tell them about the keepers; tell them about me; tell them about the bond we share; tell them all of it and I can't imagine they won't love you, too."