12| Remember to forget

After Alec had broken the news to Maia of his engagement, Maia's heart shattered into far too many pieces to ever be whole again. She loved him, she gave him all she could but he broke her in return and she couldn't go through that pain. A pain like that was something Maia couldn't bare to endure because deep down she knew she was weak. The love she'd given to Alec made her weak and all she had to show for it was a million battle scars on her heart.

Maia did the only thing she saw fit, she went to a warlock to erase any memories of why she loved Alec. She made the warlock cast a spell on her that made her think of Alec as a friend and nothing more.

The warlock, like any other, wanted payment. So, Maia gave him something she held dear to her; the memories. She thought it was better that way, if Alec wasn't held back by her pining for him then he could run the Institute with Lydia, nothing, nobody there to stop them.

Nobody would ever find out what she had done because Clary was too busy in another dimension and Izzy was being held at the Institute, threatened to be deruned. 

Her raven hair smoothed down her back, bouncing as she walked happily to Izzy's room. Her heart was lighter, her pain gone and her memories vanquished. All she had to focus on now was her parabatai. 

Once she opened the door, her eyes fell on Izzy's but she looked shocked. Maia scanned the room and sure enough, Alec was standing right in front of his sister. 

Unlike before, the world didn't crumble before Maia when she saw the boy. Her heart didn't shrivel up into a prune. Instead, her smile got even wider and her gestures grander. 

"Hello Alec, how are you?" Maia questioned the boy. She couldn't remember how his green orbs had stolen her breath or the way his dark hair captivated her, his dimples and his smile were all factors but the way he treated her was truly what made her make up her mind. Yet she couldn't remember any of it. 

All she knew was that she loved him, she just couldn't remember why. 

"Maia." He took a deep breath but stayed where he was. Light flooded over his broad back, complimenting his shoulders. 

Maia nodded before turning to Izzy. "How are you holding up?" 

"I think I should go, I have work to do." Alec glanced at Izzy knowingly, his eyes briefly stopping to meet Maia's before heading out of the door. 

"Lydia's prosecuting me, but you already know that." Izzy's hand found Maia's shoulder and she pulled her to take a seat next to her. "How are you holding up? It's been a week."

A toothy grin stretched across Maia's face. "I feel amazing."

Izzy furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "This whole week you've locked yourself in your room, refusing to see anyone whilst you pine over my brother. But all of a sudden you can talk to him? Maia no one is forcing you to lie to yourself like that." 

It was the truth, Maia truly did feel amazing. Izzy couldn't understand it because Maia wasn't willing to tell her what she had done. 

"Really, Izzy, I'm fine." Maia jerked back, getting up so she could fiddle with the keyboard of Isabelle's computer. 

"I'm your parabatai." Izzy narrowed her eyes at Maia, she wanted the truth, she knew something was up. "You can't lie to me."

Maia rolled her eyes. She didn't want to admit what she had done because once she did that she'd have to have a conscience about it. Was it unethical to do something like that? Did she just cheat herself out of the pain? 

"I went to a warlock." Silence filled the room, allowing Maia's steady heart beat to rapidly increase. 

"To do what?" Her voice echoed off of the Institute walls, already guilt tripping Maia. 

"I paid him with my memories of Alec to erase why I fell in love with him." Maia's head hung in shame. Only now was she really thinking about what she had done. 

Izzy's mouth fell open, her eyes twinkling in anger. "MAIA!"

"I didn't realize- I shouldn't have-" Maia shook, her body grew numb, the air around her was stale and no matter how rapidly she breathed she was still gasping for air. 

"We have to go to Magnus, it's our only hope." The thought dawned on Izzy and she was already pulling on her boots.

Maia's hand shot out to stop her parabatai. "You can't leave this Institute."

Izzy nodded softly. "Then Magnus will have to come to us." 

-

Glitter twinkled from the corners of his eyes. His body completely covered in deep lilacs and pristine whites. His presence fueled Izzy with a hope that Maia could be restored. She knew of infatuation, but the love like Maia's and Alec's should never be erased. 

"What have you done to yourself?" Magnus had Maia lay back on Isabelle's bed, it made it easier for him to place her head in his lap and search her mind. 

His palms rested by her temples, slowly filing through the memories she obtained. 

"Can you help her?" Izzy was the first to ask the question that plagued both her and her parabatai. 

Magnus shook his head, "This type of magic would be too hard to erase. You saw what happened the last time we tried to get back the memories from a memory demon." 

Maia's eyes fluttered open, her eyelashes grazing the skin between her lids and her eyebrows. "So, what am I going to do?" 

"Well for starters, you're going to stop making irrational decisions." Magnus raised his eyebrows at the girl in his lap. "I might be able to help you remember in another way."

"What is it?" Maia and Izzy chorused, wasting no time finding a way to help her.

Magnus gestured for Izzy to take a seat on her bed next to him. Once she was seated he took her hand in his own. "I'll transfer the memories Isabelle holds of you and Alec." 

"But she won't be able to remember what it was like for her?" Izzy objected, meeting the sorrowful eyes of her parabatai. "She'll only experience what I saw of them." 

The warlock sighed, "I can concoct a spell where when she is intimate with Alexander she'll be able to view his memories. That will help her remember, hopefully."

"So, what you're saying is that you can be a fairy godmother?" Maia felt scared, she wouldn't have the chance to get her memories back if he really did marry Lydia. 

Magnus nodded. "Once you experience what Alec feels about you, it won't be long before the power of love kicks in and enlightens you."

"But how intimate would she have to get?" Isabelle inquired, asking all the risque questions for Maia.

"Just a kiss will suffice." Magnus raised his hands. "My magic, although great, usually stays at PG-13."

Isabelle giggled then clasped Magnus' hand, each of them placing a hand to each of Maia's temples. "Let's do this."

Maia took a deep breath before nodding. "Okay, I'm ready."