7| All you need is a little Wayland

Jace dragged Maia into the weapons room, claiming it would be better to talk with some privacy. Maia agreed.

"Where to begin?" Jace asked himself, placing a hand on his chin for effect. Maia laughed and jumped up on the wooden table to sit.

"How about just giving me some advice?" Maia offered making Jace glare at her.

He cleared his throat "As I was saying; Alexander Lightwood is a very complex being."

"Jace," Maia rolled her eyes, "Skip the posh talk and stop stalling."

"Okay, okay." Jace nodded. "Half of us don't know what's happening with Alec half the time and I know him like the back of my hand."

"It's not just Alec, Jace." Maia admitted.

Jace crossed his arms over his chest "How about you tell me what this is about?"

"Alec and I were talking the other night, you know after the whole 'Alec stop! I'm not in your shadow.' business.."

"Carry on." Jace nodded.

Maia looked at her feet and spoke in one very fast mumble "Alec kissed me."

Jace's jaw fell open revealing his white teeth, but also his shock. "Hold on. Alec kissed you?"

"Yeah, yeah he did. And then I ran away." Maia breathed realizing how much of a mistake she made.

Running away from Alec was by far the worst thing Maia could've done at that moment. And she finally regretted it.

"Why did you run away?" Jace's eyes widened.

Maia hopped off of the table and hung her head in shame. She really didn't want to have to explain, it made her sound weak. Weak and stupid.

"I-uh.. I really like him Jace. This is more than anything I've ever felt with Simon."

Jace smiled slightly "Once a ShadowHunter falls in love, it's for life."

"That's funny, same thing for wolves." Maia chuckled before realizing what the Wayland had accused her of, "I haven't fallen in love with Alec."

"Then why do you feel the way you do when he's around?" Jace questioned, pulling his eyebrows together waiting for an excuse.

"I don't know. I just, I'm scared. What if he breaks my heart?" Maia locked eyes with Jace.

He shrugged "I don't know much about love, but I do know you have to be willing to give up your heart and hand it over. If they brake it, then it doesn't matter, you build a new one with the surviving pieces."

"But I've only just built myself back up again, for what? To hand it over to Alec, just like that?" Maia snapped her fingers.

Jace sighed placing his hands on her shoulders, "There aren't many people like Alec in the world."

"Thank you, Jace." Maia smiled, wrapping her hands around his waist.

"Its okay, all you needed was a little Wayland, sunshine." Jace laughed against the Garroway.

»»»

After the ceremony, Maia changed out of her dress and put on a pair of black shorts with a black tank.

She ran to Alec's room and bolted in without any care. "Alec."

Alec turned around looking at Maia with a 'why the fuck are you in my room?' look. "What do you want?"

"To talk." Maia stated breathing out, from her lack of breath due to running through the Institute.

"Actually I'm busy." Alec walked past her, shoving her shoulder lightly with his. Maia's face dropped and she ran after him.