Chapter 61: Illuminate

Mulai dari awal

I looked down at the lens curiously. "So we have to play it off like I have some kind of disease in my eye?"

"Not quite." Lauren laughed softly. "You'll wear this lens for a while, then we can pick up some paler ones to make the change gradual. Apparently it's not terribly difficult to get a brown lens, and it's also cheap. Not many people request their eyes to get darker so the price isn't nearly as high as a green or blue lens."

"Understandable." I sighed. "Thank you Lauren."

"Also." The girl re-closed the capsule and placed it in my hand. "We got some ingredients for breakfast. I figure you should eat something decent before you head out there today. How does french toast sound? I got bacon."

"Sounds delicious." I blinked, stepping into the kitchen. "Hey, where did you get the money for all this?"

When I received no response, I glanced over my shoulder to see the girl was looking at me with a big smile, her shiny white teeth nearly blinding, and eyebrows arched up high. I rolled my eyes, reaching to the upper shelf and removing a frying pan. "Lauren, stealing is wrong. The three of you are going to have to get used to living a life without it."

"But I've finally perfected the technique of sending things through the vent systems" Lauren blinked at me proudly. "At least the ones that are big enough for things to actually fit in. I can move the currents through the tunnels and get stuff around really quickly."

"Lauren." I warned, furrowing my brow at her.

"Alright, alright. I can take a hint." The girl removed a box of sugar from one of the bags. "Are you going to help me cook Camz?"

"Yeah. I—"

"Hey Camila! Is this your apartment? Wow, it's kinda underwhelming, just like your car..." The door burst open, and through it pranced Ally, Normani and Dinah. They all looked wide awake and ready to go, which was more than I could say for myself.

"Mani, can you just skip the sass and be nice for once?" Ally asked, greeting me with a plastic bag containing a single paper food container. "Please?"

"I mean, I can try but I don't think it's going to happen." The girl shrugged in response. Dinah was chuckling to herself, making her way over to me as well. I accepting the hug from her, leaning happily against her shoulder.

"Those are french toast sticks." Ally informed me, rolling her eyes at her friend who was now splayed out in the covers on the couch. Lauren had found her way over as well, flopping down next to her. "We figured you would probably be hungry when you woke up, and passed a really amazing smelling cafe on the walk over here so Normani distracted everyone inside by making it snow from the vents and we—."

"Ally be quiet I don't want to know." I held my hand up. "Thank you, they look amazing. Lauren was going to make me breakfast, but this works too."

"Oh thank god, I did not want to do that." The girl stretched with a yawn, balling herself up with a giggle as she was poked in the ribs by Normani.

"Mila." Dinah placed a hand on my shoulder and guided me into the kitchen, pulling a carton of translucent blue beverage out from one of Lauren's bags and unscrewing the cap. "The police have informed Shawn's family of everything, they assumed it was just some kind of hiking accident. No foul play involved and no witnesses."

I nodded, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"Anyway, they've pretty much demanded that it be looked into no further. I think it would be good if you went and spoke with them about it, they're confused, but they're being patient."