Chapter 58: This is What it Takes

Start from the beginning

She now stood on grass, growing to mid calf and speckled with small white petaled flowers with yellow centres. Among the greenery was also a series of dandelions, some budding violets, and the occasional strand of a wheat-like grain. Looking up, Lauren caught wind of the sky in all it's glory.

The expanse that had once been pitch black was now a bright blue, dashed every once and a while with puffy white clouds and birds flying in a unique V shape. Taking a deep breath, she noticed immediately that the air was sweet and clean.

"Amazing." The girl turned around, finding a series of thick trees growing some ways away at the edge of the field. The sun above was warming her from the inside out, feeding life to each of the living entities below.

A rustle in the grass sounded a foot or two away, and Lauren spun around quickly to meet it. Sitting on it's two back feet was a small rabbit, propped upwards with it's tiny front paws pressed close to its body and massive ears standing in the air. Smiling, Lauren knelt down and shrunk back, ensuring she gave of as little sense of intimidation as she could.

"Hey there." She said softly, holding out her hand. "What are you doing out here all alone?"

The bunny sniffed the air, it's pink nose wrinkling at the sound of Lauren's voice. Ears twitching, it took a three small hops forward and craned it's neck to sniff her outstretched hand, head tilted to the side and green eyes curious.

"It's alright, I'm not going to hurt you." Lauren smiled. "You're adorable."

The creature just blinked, looking down at her hand before rubbing it's nose against her palm. A warmth began to flower in her chest as the animal's oversized, fluffy tail began to twitch.

"Where did you come from?" The girl questioned, lifting her hand gently and rubbing it against the bunny's cheek. It's light grey fur was soft and pleasing to the touch, it's ears the same. "You're not afraid of me... are you?" Lauren then asked, blinking when she realized she was asking questions to an animal that wasn't going to reply.

Sitting down in the grass, Lauren grinned as the rabbit bounded closer to her, yearning to be scratched further. The girl did so, running the palm of her hand down it's spine and marvelling at just how much stamina and power could come from such a tiny woodland animal.

"I wonder if you have the answers I need." The green eyed girl pondered, shivering with happiness as the bunny curled up in her lap, it's ears twitching happily. "Maybe you were the one who got rid of all that blackness... it was pretty miserable, huh?"

Lauren spent some time stroking the animal, playing with it's ears and smoothing down it's silver fur. She was content with doing so for the rest of her life, but was cut short when the rabbit began to tremble against her. "You're shivering... is something wrong?"

The rodent's green eyes were wide with terror, and when Lauren looked towards the trees, she realized why. Another four legged animal was emerging from the forest, a predator with a set of pointy ears, and marbled grey and black fur. It was a wolf, it's muscles rippling underneath it's coat and large tail swishing from side to side.

"You'll be okay, don't be scared." Lauren set the bunny down in the grass, it's underbelly warm and wonderfully soft. "Go on and hide, I'll handle this."

Lauren watched sadly as the rabbit scampered away, bolting through the grass and disappearing into the distance. With a sigh, she got up and turned to the advancing wolf, watching it carefully.

But the canine didn't move further, and instead stopped it's movements and sat down a few metres away. Front paws close together, it tiled it's head to the side and gazed at her, familiar green eyes bright. Intrigued, Lauren started off towards it, ready to defend herself if the large predator ever decided that she was going to be it's prey.