Chapter 58: This is What it Takes

Start from the beginning

Sleep took her some time later, the fatigue from the rather uneventful day finally taking it's toll.

Just as expected, Lauren's dream consisted of nothing but darkness. She stood on solid ground, looking around to see nothing but black sky for miles and miles on end. Dropping down, she curled her legs back up against her chest and buried her head in her arms, closing her eyes. Lauren was ready to spend the rest of the night there, balled up and feeling sorry for herself, until a sound touched her ears.

It was soft, musical, and nothing like what she was expecting. An acoustic guitar.

I watch your troubled eyes as you rest

Lauren lifted her head with a snap, looking around wildly for the source of the voice. It was too far away for her to find out so, but the girl was determined to make something of the night. She needed answers, and perhaps now that her life had turned to shit once more, her subconscious would finally be so kind as to give them to her.

Getting up, Lauren looked around blindly, squinting through the blackness and stepping back when a rush of cool air flew through the area. She wasn't alone.

And I fall in love with every breath

"Hello?" Lauren turned around, instinctively reaching behind her for a weapon, but coming up with nothing. "Is someone there? Who's voice is that..."

Taking off, Lauren disregarded the uneven terrain and burst into a run. She pounded along the ground, fighting the wind and running towards the melody that drifted from the mysterious instrument.

Wonder if those eyes are really shut...

The girl sped up, the muscles in her body screaming in protest for the first time in a long time as she moved. When the voice echoed again, she screeched to a halt and looked around, taking a few paces backwards before switching direction. "Who is that?" Lauren called, stumbling over her feet for a moment before picking up into a run once again. "Who's there?"

And am I the one you're dreaming of

"The fuck..." Lauren stopped some time later, slowing down and placing her hands on her knees to catch her breath. She was breathing hard, frustrated and feeling out of shape in more ways that one. "It's a song..." Her mind immediately fleeted back to the time in Nashville when Camila had pleaded for a shiny acoustic guitar, but shook off the thought moments later. The voice didn't belong to Camila, it was far too deep.

Cause underneath... the darkness

The voice was closer; it seemed only a number of paces away. Turning, Lauren picked up into a jog, her movements cut short when her left foot went out from beneath her and she hit the ground. It was cold, uneven, and cut from the same stone that seemed to line the walls of the underground base.

"Fucking hell." The girl rubbed her elbows, pushing herself up into a sitting position and brushing the hair out of her eyes. "Really?"

There's a light that's trying so hard to be seen

The wind picked up, and a fierce breeze whipped across her skin. Bringing a hand up, the girl created her own circular current of air to block it, slowly making her way to her knees. She had skinned her elbow, and the sting was just now setting in.

And I know this... cause I've noticed

On the last beat, the voice trailed off and the area was left seemingly quiet once more. Everything had settled down, and dispelling the field around her, Lauren no longer felt the wind.

"What's going on?" She questioned, hoping there was someone around who would reply. "Who's there?"

Lauren received no reply, but rather the environment began to change. The ground slowly started to glow and brilliant white, the girl had to shut her eyes before they were able to adjust to the stark contrast. When she slowly looked around, her breath became caught in her throat at the sight.