Chapter 9

*** Marie's Point of View ***

Saturday evening, July 18, 1957

Meeting Elvis' parents was the last time I've seen him. I truly miss him. He forewarned me about his upcoming tour all around the United States. That drive home from Graceland made my heart sink. The whole time I considered the fact he was kidding but I had to bring my head back down from cloud nine. I didn't want him to go but his career is only beginning. He assured me that if he could bring me along he would, with his parents. But until then he travels solo with a few of his close friends and his sadistic manager. He also promised me he'd call everyday. Which he sometimes kept, other times he'd end up calling at 4 a.m. waking up the entire household or most times, not just call at all. Sure, he had excuses and I believed them ofcourse. I'm a stupid girl too deep in love, something I vowed I'd never be. Tragic.

I spent the Fourth of July with the Tylersons, happily. We showed Russell the fun of watching fireworks and a good old barbecue. My mind wasn't fully at the celebration and I think Judy could tell. But she was busy enough keeping an eye on Russell so she didn't confront me about it.

This whole time I feel like I'm in the process of withdrawal from a drug. It's the oddest thing I've ever felt.

And that afternoon Elvis and I were caught together in the gas station soon came to haunt us. E saw our new's spot on tv that night.The next morning he called me reading a newspaper article about us as well. It's surreal, I'm sort of a celebrity now. Our faces were plastered on nearly every newspaper for days, flustered, I avoided going out unless it was for taking Russell to school and picking him up. Park days were sacrificed to only Fridays. Russell fortunately didn't mind much, he was the medicine to my gloominess.

Within days, reporters called every so often throughout the day to ask for an interview with me. I denied each and all of them; but I decided to tell Elvis about it one day when he finally called me. His words were, "honey, the colonel and I think you shouldn't go anywhere near them press. All they want is a way to ruin what we have and everything else."

"Is that you talking or is it your manager ordering you like a puppet?" I replied coldly.

With that being said all I heard was a deep sigh. I decided to hang up and leave him be. I quickly learned we both were hot heads trying to avoid exploding in each others face. It's been a few days since that last phone call and I'm doubting he'll even call me back again.

Finally, being from the future blows up in my face and I'm alone to fight off the press as I should have predicted.

*** Elvis POV ***

Sunday, July 19, 1957
She's the only one I need. And now I left her alone to fend for herself. I feel nothin but shame. I'd stop this tour and run my ass back to her if I could. Run, miles and miles to her little yellow house and just hold her in my arms.

I don't know what she's feeling. I'm scared to death of losing her. One day her voice is somber without letting out a sweet giggle and the next day she resents me. The guys can read me like a book, especially the colonel. I explain to them my guilt and they try consoling me. But the colonel advices me she ain't worth my time. I nearly bashed his skull in if it wasn't for him leaving the room. The guys all contradicted him and tried calming me down. I calmed down but I sure as hell didn't forget what he said.

As news spread across the nation about Marie and I, newspaper reporters questioned me about her whenever they got the chance. I was sick of it. I tried talking very little about her, positive little things. The press ate it up regardless and it shut the Colonel up.

So far, I manage to keep my composure throughout the demanding tour. Other times, I was sleep deprived. I ended up skipping days from calling Marie. The truth is, I didn't even have the strength to pick up the phone.

I spent my Fourth of July alone, in my motel room. I let the guys celebrate without me. I glared at the ceiling lying in bed all day, thinking about Marie and my parents.

Since the tour started, I haven't laid eyes on another girl. None have drawn my attention like Marie has. Even with that achievement in my head it's not enough for me to know, I want her to be assured I ain't doing reckless things just for the hell of it. For now, I'm the only one entrusted with the truth and I'll gladly keep it true for her.

I just hope when I come home, she'll welcome me with open arms...