Chapter 21

*** Elvis' POV ***

Early Saturday morning, March 2, 1960

I woke up staring at the empty side of my bed. It's only been a few days but I sure as hell miss Marie. I sulk to the bathroom. I start getting ready like always, with the lights off. All my suitcases were set and ready for the jet to Fort Dix, New Jersey. Red knocks on my door, I open it rubbing my eyes.

"Ready?" Red asks raising a brow.

I nod opening the door wide. I stretch my arms up and yawn.

"It's quiet.." Red says taking my suitcases.

"Too quiet." I say softly.

I take a last look around the room, no makeup, shoes or dresses covered the dressers. It was empty now.I turn the lights off as Red walks out. I follow Red downstairs.

"You seem a lil' bit tired.. Better get some sleep before your conference."

I nod opening the front door the freezing snow and cold hit us hard. Red follows me out to the black Cadillac. Red puts my bag in the trunk and starts the car. I stare out my window beginning to shut my eyes. Just as I was falling asleep, we arrive at the jet.

I sigh deeply glaring at the plane, Red turns back at me and chuckles.

"It's now or never." He says with a small smile.

I force the door open and make my way toward the jet. The snow storm slaps me in the face. Red dashes behind me. The stewardess welcomes me with a kiss on the cheek, I smirk seating myself in one of the closest seats. Red takes a seat next to me leaning back in his seat.

Trying to distract myself from the jet beginning to start, I cross my arms and shut my eyes.

"Wake up E! We made it to Fort Dix!

My eyes shoot open and I run my hand through my hair.

"Get ready for them cameras." Red continues staring out the window.

The stewardess opens the door and smiles at us. Nearly running out, I climb down the stairs. Just like Red predicted, hundreds of cameras greeted me. Their cameras flash like crazy. For a second or two I thought I was seeing in black and white. Red leads me to our limo. He pulls me in and he laughs out.

"Bet you didn't miss that now huh!" Red exclaims fixing his hair.

I chuckle shaking my head.

"I just wanna get home."

Suddenly the door opens again and I see the Colonel, he gets in and sits across from me. He waves at Red and I with a cigar in his mouth.

"You's gonna go home but first, you's gotta talk to the media.... Now Nancy Sinatra and Tina Louise will be there. Somethin' about makin a deal with ya. Nancy's daddy really wants ya on his show."

I smirk at Red, he was taken back.

"I'll be doing the numbers with her as you talk to them journalists."

I roll my eyes turning to the window.

"Everything ain't about money, Colonel."

He huffs angrily taking his cigar out of his mouth.

"If I'm not on them numbers you'd be broke boy. Now who got you that $1.6 million in record royalties while you was serving the country?"

I bite my lip, taking the habit from Marie. He's right.

"Alright, but she ain't taking me anywhere. I want to go straight home."

Colonel chuckles shaking his head.