Chapter 3 - The Prince and the Warlock

Start from the beginning

"No. The door is locked. I can't leave."

The first thing he feels is pity for the boy. Having to stay cooped up inside all day? What sort of life was that? He needs to get out. Have some fun! But how? After pondering the question for a few minutes Arthur turns to the grate with enthusiasm. He grabs the bars and with a wide smile looks down at Merlin. "Do you want to go outside?"

Merlin's eyes widen and he gets to his feet, excited at the very question. "Of course! But... how? Do you know how to get me out?"

Arthur shakes his head. "No, but I have an idea! I'll be back tomorrow! Wait for me!" With that the prince hops up, grabs the candle and races from the room before Merlin can ask anymore questions.

-----

The following morning Arthur is up and out of bed before his nursemaid has even arrived - much to her surprise. He gobbles down breakfast quickly, hardly even stopping to chew his food, before he's suddenly out the door and into the hall with his nursemaid right behind. He weaves between the servants in the corridor, for once happy of his small stature as he finds his way to the courtyard. The area is already bustling with people and he can catch a few of the merchants and visiting farmers wave in his direction when they see him atop the stairs. He can already hear his nursemaid approaching from behind and without wasting another second he races towards the gate out of the city.

He doesn't stray too far from the gate, only a short distance into the trees where his nursemaid wouldn't find him if she came to look. His father has drilled it into his head enough times the dangers of going out alone at his age and he is not willing to be lectured again.

He's glad the sun is up this morning and that the sky is clear. It makes things much easier for him as he starts to search around the forest. He needs to bring something interesting, something that will remind Merlin of all the wondrous things outside. He searches around for awhile, not knowing what would be the best thing to bring. Should he bring some of the leaves? Or perhaps some of the herbs? No, none of those seem right. He needs something more.

It takes him well over an hour but eventually a vibrant flower growing on a bush by the base of a tree catches his eye. He crouches down by the plant, examining the yellow petals that remind him rather vividly of those golden eyes that stared up at him from the darkness of the room. He picks them carefully, not wanting to cut himself on the thorns, before turning around and heading home, eager to show Merlin what he's found. He's careful to hide them as he walks back to his chambers, not wanting anyone to question him or, even worse, take them away. He carefully places them in the back of his wardrobe the moment he enters his chambers, knowing that he won't have time to visit Merlin again until at least later in the day. Almost the moment he shuts his wardrobe door his father walks in, eyeing him suspiciously. "Arthur," he says warningly with the nursemaid right behind him, "Mary says that you've been neglecting your studies lately. Is that true?"

Arthur turns to face his father, instinctively setting his shoulders back and fixing his posture to the way his father had taught him. "No, I haven't," he says.

"Then where were you this morning? You have lessons with Gaius in less then ten minutes."

"I... went out for a walk. And besides I came back on time!"

Uther growls, stepping in closer to his son until he's towering over him. "You better not have been out and playing with those children again."

Arthur shakes his head, "Of course not, father. I was just out for a walk."

Uther eyes his son for a moment longer before heaving a sigh and turning back around. "Hurry to Gaius. I don't want you to be late again. And please, next time at least let Mary know where you're going."