Surprises, Surprises.

The rest of the day went as well as it possibly could with Eve lurking around every corner. I was late to two of my classes thanks to her stupid antics. When it came to lunch, I was relieved. Eve usually left me alone at lunch because I sat next to Laura.

When I reached the cafeteria, though, I saw that my usually early friend was not there. I suddenly remembered then what she had told me that morning: she had a dentist's appointment and would not be in lunch.

I had forgotten in my desperation to get away from Eve.

I got my lunch in slow procession, dreading the thought of being so alone and vulnerable to Eve attacks. Moving across the cafeteria floor, I sat down slowly at my table, attempting nonchalantly to avoid Eve's attention.

It didn't work. As soon as she glanced across the cafeteria and saw her favorite prey alone, she paused speaking to her friends, the shadow of a smug smile growing on her face. She stood almost immediately after, making her way over me.

My eyebrows wrinkled in confusion as she stopped abruptly along the way, mouth open in surprise as her gaze fell on something- or someone behind me.

I yelped in surprise as a hand fell upon my shoulder, and I turned to see Liam standing directly behind me.

"Hi." he grinned.

"You really need to stop doing that." I huffed, but he only dismissed my comment with a chuckle, plopping down in the chair next to mine.

All too aware of his steady gaze on me, I peeked quickly over my shoulder at Eve to see that she had stormed back to her own table, eyes ablaze with fury.

"Well," I said, "you certainly surprised her."

"Seems I've been surprising everyone lately." Liam responded, looking pointedly at me.

He then proceeded to very nonchalantly scoop up abnormally small amount of mashed potatoes onto his flimsy plastic spoon, eyes glittering with mischief.

"What-" I started to ask, but at that moment he bent back his spoon like a catapult and flung mashed potatoes at Eve's table.