1

Percy had been raised to be a fisherman, just like his father and his father before him. It was what the Jacksons were known for. His father had taken him to the small lake behind their small house every day after Percy got home from school. Percy hated the idea of being a fisherman for the rest of his life, though. He dreaded going home from school, knowing his dad would drag him out to the lake to different kinds of fishing. Percy stayed after school for as long as he could almost every day.

Looking back on it now, Percy wished he cherished those times out in the lake with his father. Two days after Percy's 14th birthday, Percy's father was strangled going home from the market for food. Every day since then, Percy went out to the lake behind his house and fished for hours.

Percy threw down his bag of grain as soon as he walked home from the market. The house was empty. His mother was still at work, and Percy didn't have siblings. He was alone. Percy grabbed the loaf of seaweed green bread from the table and tore off a small piece. Shoving the entire piece into his mouth, Percy went to his room and quickly grabbed his spear and trident. His trident. Percy's father's trident.

The cool, crisp air hit Percy's face as soon as he walked out the back door. His bare feet crunched softly against the sand, seeping in between his toes. Percy set his trident and spear on the shore by his fishing pole. He plopped down in the sand and rolled his old pant legs up. Percy rolled up the sleeves of his worn out shirt and grabbed his spear. Just as he was about to step into the water, a voice stopped him.

"I knew I'd find you here."

Percy jumped and turned, brandishing his spear, ready to attack whomever snook up on him. He let out a sigh of relief seeing the stony, grey eyes of his best friend. "Annabeth, what're you doing? Why aren't you getting ready for the Reaping?"

The blonde shrugged her shoulders and walked toward him, holding a pile of clothes. "I could ask you the same thing, Perce."

Percy turned back to the lake and stepped into it. A pleasant shiver went down his back. "I fish every day after school, Annie. You know that." He wasn't in the mood to talk. He needed something to take his mind off the Reaping that would commence in a couple of hours, the last one Percy would be going to. All he needed to do was get through today, and he'd be solid.

"I brought you some of my dad's clothes. I knew you needed some. You know, after that growth spurt," Annabeth smirked at him. Percy turned to her and glanced down at the clothes. He walked out of the water and took them, thanking her softly. Annabeth broke her facade. Her eyes grew dark, her face pale, and slumped. "I'm scared, Percy," she murmured. Percy gently put the clothes on the sand beside them.

"It's gonna be okay. This is our last year." Percy squeezed her shoulders. "We'll be fine, Wise Girl," he finished. Annabeth nodded, stiffening. She rarely was vulnerable in front of anyone. Today was different, though. She could feel it in her gut that something bad was going to happen today.

The two of them walked back inside Percy's house. "How many times do you have your name in the Reaping?" Annabeth asked. Percy looked away from her, setting the clothes on the table beside his bed. "39 times." Annabeth shut her eyes and sighed. "We needed the food. Mom's salary won't cut it and no one will hire me after what happened the last time."

"You can always ask for food or money, Percy. It's okay." Annabeth's father was the head Peacekeeper that resided in District 4. They were well off, the opposite of Percy and his mother.

Percy shook his head. "No, I-I can't do that," he stopped her. He didn't want her help, or anyone's in fact. What he caught every other day after school went to the butcher for money. Percy usually kept a few fish for him and his mom, but one cannot live on just fish.