Butterfly Waltz

Cinderella and Prince Anthony ended up dancing three waltzes, one after the other and it was wonderful. Anthony was easy and enjoyed talking and laughing, their dances filled with anecdotes and giggling, both chatting as if they'd known each other for years.

When she had been young and still in the royal circle, Cinderella had never been particularly close to Anthony, she remembered a shy boy who hid behind his siblings and nanny, but shyness didn't seem to play a part in his world anymore.

"I think I might have to let you go after this dance," Anthony said to her as the third dance came to an end, leaning down to whisper in her ear, a grin in his tone.

"Oh?"

"If not, I fear a certain someone might have my head."

Cinderella looked at him as he leant back and he nodded. She looked around and spied Jazz stood at the edge of the dancefloor, arms folded, a glare so dark on his face people were actually giving him a wide berth as they walked passed. Only Princess Daphne stood beside him and was looking distinctly uncomfortable.

"He's so easy to wind up," Prince Anthony sniggered before stepping back and bowing over her hand. "Until next time then, Duchess."

Cinderella in turn curtsied and walked to Jazz, stopping beside him, turning to look out over the dancefloor again. The trio stood in silence for a moment.

"So, Your Highness, how do you like the ball?"

Jazz's frown deepened and Princess Daphne controlled a wince.

"It's lovely," she said, "I didn't expect such décor."

Cinderella looked around at the ballroom, taking in the wonderful decorations she had mostly ignored seeing as she'd walked into the hall and instantly got into an argument.

They had created a snowscape around the courtyard. Dusted all the plants with white powder, set up grand ice sculptures, dressed the staff in icy blue uniforms, and the evening's entertainments – acrobats hanging and swinging from poles that had been stretched across the top of the courtyard, from pillars to pillars, moving like snow spirits through the air, raining down white over the guests.

"A drink perhaps, Your Highness?" Cinderella suggested, leaning forwards to smile at her, "or another dance with one of the fine young men here? I'm sure you'll find some wonderful company."

"Yes, perhaps," she said, glancing up at Jazz before looking around.

Cinderella reached back and caught the coat of the closest man behind her. A young lord was yanked back and spun to face them, blinking rapidly, startled before looking down at her, confused.

"Your Highness, this gentleman has asked for your next dance, if you wish," Cinderella said.

The Princess looked around and Jazz glared at the young man with such ferocity he quickly nodded and bowed, offering his hand.

She took it and the pair hurried away and Cinderella elbowed Jazz.

"Smile, you're starting to scare people," she hissed.

"I am irritated," he said, tiling his hips away so she couldn't jab him so easily, though he did unfold his arms, locking his hands behind his back "People will just have to deal with it."

Cinderella let out a breath, looking down. "I'm sorry," she said, "I know I make you mad."

She took a step to the side and reached back, her hand touching his. After a moment, he released his clenched hands and let her slip her fingers between his, the entwined hands hidden behind her skirts.