"No. You should rest, sleep it off for a while. Do that, yes?"

"I have work at 5:30-"

"All the more reason to get another hours worth of sleep. Goodnight, Ember," he ended the conversation there and started toward my door. I didn't want him to leave, but I knew he should.

My odd attraction to him was a bit alarming.

"Wait!" I rushed out before my mind could even register what I was going to say. He turned with a raised eyebrow, his intense eyes making me fumble for my words.

"Um, thank you. For driving me home. And Liz. She's a handful when she's drunk so tha-"

"Oh, you think she's a handful when drunk? Interesting," he countered, his eyes smiling with humor.

"What is that supposed to mea-"

"I mean you Ember, are the handful when intoxicated. Try not to keep doing that yeah? You're a danger to us all. You're welcome."

With that, he left. It was now 4:23 and I was feeling way too alive at this hour, way too alive for someone with a hangover.

I had to work soon. I always slept until about 5:00 because the cafe where I worked was just a few blocks down, but I decided to go against Rowan's orders and get a head start on the day.

I went to the kitchen and started a giant pot of coffee, because even though I work at a cafe, I needed one in order to physically get to the cafe.

The damn cat that's been in my apartment for about a month now was lounging on my counter with its tail wrapped around the handle of my coffee pot like it paid the damn rent. I hope he was happy with himself.

I liked to act like I hated Richard, but I couldn't really pull that off when I had a bag of cat food that cost twice my rent in the closet. He'd stolen my heart, but he was still a dick. Always pouncing on my shit like he owned the place.

It was why I named him Richard - so he wouldn't get so offended when I called him a dick. It was just a little shortened version of his name. I liked to think I was clever.

I grabbed my coffee pot, to which he meowed very angrily, but I ignored it.

Say that to your stupid 4-EVO cat food, asshole. I don't think he understood that I was a broke (trying to be) adult, and I didn't have that kind of money to spend on an evil apprentice.

I would have bought him something less expensive, but when he arrived on my balcony and jumped right through my open window, he was a skimpy little thing. He was ragged and matted. He was all bones, so I decided to get him some really good cat food - just until he was nursed back to health, right?

Right.

Needless to say, he was spoiled now.

I pushed him out of the way to reach my filter and he eyed me. I eyed him back.

My phone rang. It was an odd time, but I answered.

"Hey, Em. So I know this is horrible to ask since you're sick but, can you take my next shift this Thursday? I'm sorry, I just have reservations and since I'm taking yours today I-"

"Wait what?"

"I know, and I'm not expecting anything, I just have to have reservations by tonight and no one else can-"

"Rebecca, I'm not sick..and I'm getting ready for work right now..."

"What? A man, your friend, he called and said you weren't feeling well and that you couldn't come in so-"

"No, no. I was a bit hungover. I'm all good now. I'll take today and Thursday, no problem. I need the money. You can go back to sleep. Thank you, though."

"Oh, awesome! Thank you so much, Em. I'm really excited, it's this Korean place Chase has been wanting to take me. I'll let you get back to getting ready then, good luck with your hangover."

"Thanks, have fun on your date."

We hung up after a bit of small talk and I continued getting ready. I guess failing to mention that he called in for me at work wasn't important to tell me? How the hell did he know where I worked?

***

I opened the door, the warm air of the cafe inviting me in on this cold day. The smell of coffee and donuts lifted my mood instantly.

Evan, my more than cute coworker, came up to me with a big smile on his face.

"Guess what happened today, gorgeous?" He bounced on his feet. He was always so giddy. He was covered in tattoos from head to toe, and I always imagined him with nipple piercings - not sure if he had them though. His hair was in a dreaded bun while he smiled up at me devilishly.

"Evan, it is literally 5:25. Tell me how something interesting has already happened for you."

Some people's lives were just more exciting than others'.

"Well, Richard came and visited me this morning. Scared the shit out of me, too."

"Richard? Dick Richard?" Evan and I lived in the same apartment, but he was one floor down from mine. God knows what that cat did in his free time, the free time that he had too much of.

"Yep. And guess what else?" His smile widened.

"What?" I couldn't see what was so interesting about my cat giving him a visit.

He reached into his pocket to take out a lacy thong from it.

"He brought me a present of yours," he let out, barely containing his laughter.

"Oh my god! Put those away, Evan!"

They were definitely mine. That goddamned cat.

"Give them back!" I laughed despite my slight horror. He laughed and danced around me, holding them up just where I couldn't reach it.

"I've always wanted in your pants, Ember Dawn. It's a day of triumph," he yelled. Our coworkers were watching us with mild interest, most too tired to handle Evan's morning mood.

I laughed with him, the world swirling around me.

The world, literally swirling around me.

I reached out to the counter, touching a hot ass thing of milk. I couldn't pull my hand back fast enough as I tried to balance myself. Evan's laughter died down and he grabbed my shoulders.

"Woah, Em. Ember, are you okay?"

My head was throbbing, my heart thumping in my ears. My vision blurred and I lost my balance.

That was the last thing I heard before darkness greeted me.