Richard

Jesus Christ.

I woke up to the feeling of someone watching me. Looking groggily around my dark room, I saw a figure leaning against the wall.

Shooting up and grabbing my lamp in what I would consider one fluid motion, I flung it at the silhouette-all the while, screaming at the top of my lungs.

He stepped out of the way in time to avoid the blow, and in that moment I realized how fucked I was.

"Jesus fucking christ, Ember. It's me, fuck."

"Rowan? You fucking idiot! Why are you in my room?! What time is-"

"Calm down. It's 4:00 in the morning. I was making sure you were alright. I dropped your-"

"How do you know where I live?" Butterflies were in my stomach and I was sure if it was because a few seconds ago I thought I was about to be brutally murdered, or because his hair hung over his eyes in the perfect way.

"You told me."

The lie was so fluent. So efficient and persuasive. But that's the thing, I don't know directions for shit. I can get to my apartment, but there is no way in hell I could've told him where I live - especially not in a drunken state.

The drunken state in which I missed dearly thanks to my throbbing forehead.

"Oh I did, huh? Who did you drop off first - me or Elizabeth?" I was going to get to the bottom of this. I know something was weird on the rooftop, especially now looking back in a less..buzzed state.

His eyes narrowed for a second, obviously sensing the interrogative behind my words.

"Elizabeth. Why do you ask?" He answered after a second of melting me with a suspicious stare.

If he dropped Liz off first, that meant she probably didn't tell him where I lived. Plus, she was completely shitfaced just hours ago. There was no way she had that much reason in her.

He laughed a deep laugh that, not to sound like an awestruck school girl, set my vagina on fire.

Booze make me horny. That was going to be my excuse.

You're not even drunk any-

Anyway.

"Why the laugh?"

"Why the interrogation?"

"Just checking my safety. I'm buzzed but I'm still sensible, you know." I brushed off my curiosity of the man on the rooftop. Another time, when the Civil War wasn't taking battle inside my head.

He smirked. It was dark. He was dark.

I liked it.

But I probably shouldn't have. It was a kind of smirk that was meant to hide the darkness, to cover it up with a sly smile, but it really did the opposite.

I had such a curiosity for this man. Such an enticing curiosity.

He cleared his throat.

"I put some juice and ibuprofen on your table. You should get some more rest."

"Thanks. I'm up now though, I'll just-"