Chapter 10

That night Arthit returns later than he had thought he would have. He does buy a gift for Prem in the end. Kongphob helps him pick one. Suchada had been running around the mall during their shopping, Kongphob occasionally leaving to drag her back. Overall, the night ends well even though it leaves a strange bittersweet feeling in him. Their dinner is punctuated with awkwardness and confusion but, those are easy to ignore.

They still don't ask each other how the other has been.

Most of their conversation circles around Suchada and how is Kosum, their project and their companies. Kongphob even insists on dropping him back. Arthit declines at first but gives in when Suchada pouts and asks him to listen to her uncle. Kongphob had looked surprised when Arthit had agreed (had probably not expected Arthit to accept it) and when he had pointed the turning where he had to be dropped.

"Why?" Arthit had asked.

Kongphob had shaken his head, not elaborating further.

Arthit stares through his beer bottle as he holds it up against the light, contemplating. What are the chances Kongphob is back in his life to not mess it further? But, the younger man isn't trying to be friendlier or, anything. He is very courteous, polite and distant. It's like he has never had any history with Arthit. He is friendly with Arthit's colleagues, chatting and laughing with them. He doesn't try to engage the raven-haired man in any kind of conversation beyond what is absolutely necessary. Even though there have been multiple occasions to do that.

Why was tonight different?

Arthit doesn't want Kongphob to know where he lives and hence, asked to be dropped a few houses away from his own. He isn't comfortable with the idea of Kongphob knowing where he lives.

Arthit isn't ready to forgive Kongphob.

Even though the younger man doesn't seem to be interested in asking him for it.

*

Arthit meets up with Knot, Toot (who has come with his boyfriend), Bright and his wife at Ban Phe. Prem and Wad are waiting for them in the villa with their family. It takes them about fifteen minutes to reach Ao Kiew, Koh Samet by speed boat. It takes them ten minutes to only greet each other and tease one other. They unload their luggage in the lobby and quickly change into beach shorts and shirts and run back outside shouting to the beach. Arthit lingers to greet Wad's parents and check if they need any help with the preparation or, anything else for that matter. Prem who he thought had joined his friends at the beach says,

"Don't be like that Ai'Arthit. I don't want them wishing you to be their son-in-law."

Arthit laughs. "I don't mind that thought.", he shoots back.

"P'." Wad enters the room at this point. "Thank you, am flattered but, I don't want you for my husband." Prem's expression changes to one of awe and sends flying kisses to his fiance. Arthit fake gags, leaving the room.

"I got it, I got it."

They play around in the water for around an hour after which they lie down on the white sand. The rise and fall of the waves fix his attention on them. He zones out within seconds, his friends' words' falling on deaf ears. Arthit is tired from the three hours of drive from Bangkok and from being in the water for an hour. He has grown old, he admits to himself. He turns to his right, his head resting on his arm and dozes off. The breeze is cool enough and the entire scenery is enchanting enough to lull him into sleep.