Chapter 19, Part D: The Monsters in My Backyard (cont.)

Start from the beginning

The Count’s voice hardened as he continued his explanations.  “There is a good reason why all of my uncles went their separate ways once they began to form families of their own. Once we engage in a fight, it is almost impossible to call it off.”

A thoughtful look crossed Giles’ face as he considered that piece of clan wisdom and the near altercation the previous evening.  “I suppose I should be glad that all I received last night was a bruise.”  

The Count nodded slightly. To say more would reveal too much.  “Now, do you bring me any other messages from our clan?”

The coachman was still rather flustered as he reached into a pocket and withdrew a small rolled up piece of paper.  But when he spoke his voice was calm and light.  “I have a present taken from a bumbling traveler.  Our cousins thought you’d find it entertaining.”

The count took the document from him and rolled it open for careful study. Wolfram frowned as he inspected the paper, not entertained at all.  It appeared that whatever had been on this message had been either obscured intentionally or obliterated through mishandling of the paper. All that remained were a handful of words:

Witch of 

 Silvery

Snow

White Wolf

Giles could offer little to change the expression on his master’s face. “No one can figure out if it was coded or not.  Seems that every time the man tried to say something he would start to foam at the mouth. They thought he might be hexed by a magic user.”

Somewhat sharply, Wolfram disagreed.  “You don’t need magic to have that effect.  A person can be conditioned to do that - either through torture or continued suggestion.”

“I don’t think there’s any way to know now,” Giles spoke carefully.  “He died before he could explain this scrap he carried with him. But I’m inclined to agree with you. I smell no magic on it. “

While Wolfram rolled the paper back up carefully, his mind searched distant memories, trying to think back to similar experiences that might help find a resolution to this particular message. “Perhaps an alchemist might be able to sufficiently restore what was here before.”

A raised eyebrow signaled  Giles’ confusion.  “A what?”

Wolfram sighed. He had forgotten that there were no known alchemists around for some time.  Alchemy was simply another form of magic, but one that had gone underground when the humans set foot on this land.  “Consider that last comment to be irrelevant.  I suppose we will simply have to ignore this particular mystery for now.”

“Well,” Giles scratched at his beard.  “There’s a regular bookmaster in town.  He would know a thing or two about damaged paper and inks.  If it’s just ordinary paper, he might be able to help.”

Maximilian considered the logic; a man who was used to restoring and preserving books could resurrect a piece of paper ruined by human hands.  He had not even considered this simply because of where his allegiances lay.  “You propose I bring an outsider in the employ of the guild into our confidences?”